• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Authority Blog/competitive Market

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hi all,

I've been making some money with Amazon review sites.

There is a specific market that is very competitive that I am pretty passionate about. In fact I'm considered an expert or the 'go to guy' in my circles offline.

I see other site owners/ you tube channels that have been in this market niche for sometime.

I would really like to take a crack at this online as a blog or something. To monetize it would be easy because there are particular items in this market that are easily accessible online such as Amazon. I am so interested in these particular items that I also own many.

I want to become an authority just like I am offline in my circle.

Question I'm used to finding a niche based keyword research and accessing the competition. But this market looks to be competitive. I actually found a brand name that looks like it can be cracked. The search volume isn't what I would think an authority site should be; 1600/ month exact match. There is the exact match domain available. However as I said it would be xyzBRANDNAME.com.

My 2 fold purpose is to provide and demonstrate great content by means of video and writing and making money maybe means of Amazon where the reader can purchase the product at the best price .

What's one to do if they want to start an authority type site that's in a competitive market?

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Start writing and promoting to the right audience.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:37 AM

You'll need to unequivocally prove you're an expert through everything about your site.

#4 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

You'll need to unequivocally prove you're an expert through everything about your site.

Prove in what way? Like credentials?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

In everything you do. From what you write about being correct and authoritative, to other people who know you chiming in and agreeing that yes, you are in fact an expert.

Anyone can say they're an expert, but truly being one is a different matter completely.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

I would not use a brand name in a domain name. That's asking for a takedown request at the very least.

You can take any domain name and use it to compete in any highly competitive vertical.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

I would not use a brand name in a domain name. That's asking for a takedown request at the very least.

Good catch! I was thinking he meant his own brand.

#8 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

You can take any domain name and use it to compete in any highly competitive vertical.

Actually I decided to use my full name as my domain with tag line AKA "XYZ".

Now I'm used to niche sites which recently I've been successful with. I am finally getting it in regards to keyword research, on page and off page SEO.

This site which is my full name as domain is a passion of mine in the technology field, more specifically accessories for the technology. I have been in contact with manufacturers and most have have free samples they can provide so I can do reviews. I'm planning to do video reviews and some 'off the wall' video related to this niche. Although I'm not experienced with video this is my goal.

With all this being said how does something like this relate to keyword research? Just for kicks I investigated some keywords that are highly relevant and one in particular is a 3000 a month exact match phrase. I know as I add content there will be other search terms that would be added 'naturally'.

So my question since I'm used to niche sites(Amazon reviews types) should I take the same approach in regards to keyword research, and the likes of SEO, ping etc word press plug ins?

Marc

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,938 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:12 AM

Unless of course you ARE the "branded" or trade marked name :)

#10 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

With all this being said how does something like this relate to keyword research? Just for kicks I investigated some keywords that are highly relevant and one in particular is a 3000 a month exact match phrase. I know as I add content there will be other search terms that would be added 'naturally'.

So my question since I'm used to niche sites(Amazon reviews types) should I take the same approach in regards to keyword research, and the likes of SEO, ping etc word press plug ins?

Marc

If you're going to use keyword suggestion tools you really need to be responsive to what happens on your site. That means monitor analytics and match up your page targeting. This takes practice and it's fine to start out not knowing anything as long as you're prepared to learn from your mistakes.

If you cannot invest that much time into the practice of keyword-based strategy then don't bother. Just focus on topics that you care about. Your instincts will guide you as long as you are tied in to current consumer interests.

#11 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:33 AM

If you're going to use keyword suggestion tools you really need to be responsive to what happens on your site. That means monitor analytics and match up your page targeting. This takes practice and it's fine to start out not knowing anything as long as you're prepared to learn from your mistakes.

If you cannot invest that much time into the practice of keyword-based strategy then don't bother. Just focus on topics that you care about. Your instincts will guide you as long as you are tied in to current consumer interests.

Hi and thanks! I was reading a lot last night about this. And generally speaking what I've learned in this case keyword strategy isn't that relevant, a 'light keyword' stategy is best. As you said the key is to be tied into current interests. And I think that keywords(long tail) will come naturally.

#12 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

My plan is to set up a blog. I did some keyword research for kicks and there are a lot of long tail exact match keywords that get decent search volume such as 3000 searches a month. This is in technology market but my niche is popular and competitive in general keywords but long tail can easily be implemented very very naturally.

The top site for a long tail exact match keyword is an exact match domain. This particular keyword is a model that hasn't come out yet but there's a lot of talk on the Internet about it.

My plan is to use my name as domain for future branding. So I would like my first post to be about this exact match long tail keyword that gets 3000 exact match searches a month because it does really interest me and I've been searching for my own personal info. I can see if I get traffic that people would comment on my blog if I leave comments opened.

Like I said the top site is an exact match domain but the exact match is for the up coming model. When the next models come out the exact match won't be as relevant, this is why I want to use my name as domain and for branding.

So I'm somewhat responsive to keywords but lightly. What caught my attention was when I searched for this long tail for my own benefit I said it myself 'let me check to see if there's any action with this key word'. I didn't expect much action because it's a 6 word phrase. When I saw 3000 exact match searches I was like wow. Then I started to dig.

Edited by MarcP, 09 June 2012 - 07:10 AM.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

If there are truly 3000 exact match searches then by the very definition of long tail, it's not a long tail phrase.

#14 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

If there are truly 3000 exact match searches then by the very definition of long tail, it's not a long tail phrase.

Ok then that's a good thing.

Question... I'm going to be using Word Press. org. There also SEO plug in available. I just pointed my domain to host. This keyword can easily be naturally implemented.

How should I use the SEO plug in in regards to keywords in title, description and keywords?

#15 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,938 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

How should I use the SEO plug in in regards to keywords in title, description and keywords?

You don't!

Working to that kind of formula for documents is exactly what the filters/algorithm changes that were rolled in the "panda" and "penguin" updates are designed to weed out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!