• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Titles And Header Tags

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:44 AM

Hi - sorry for such a basic question but I'm trying to get my head around it.

On my website pages I have a Header 1 at the top which is basically the Title of the page. I've now been told I should have a 'Title' at the top.

Is there any difference (except that it's currently between Header tags) in the currect title of the page, and a Title?

Eg. Should I have the name of my website in the title? I write information sites, and I am not a company. What is currently at the top of the page is the subject matter of the page.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,550 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

The heading and the title are not the same, and should not necessarily have the same wording.

The H1 heading (as you know) shows on the page. The contents of the title tag shows in the title bar of the browser and also (may be) displayed in the search results. This makes the title important for attracting click-throughs from people who view your site in the search results.

The heading may have some impact on rankings, but there is considerable debate about how much weight it gets. Most agree that if it gets extra weight, it's not a whole lot. However, almost everyone agrees the title is very important for search results.

While it would be silly and redundant to include your company name in the heading on every page, it's absolutely acceptable to include it in the title for branding purposes. Just don't make your company name the entire title. Maybe put it at the end. The first part of the title should be engaging, descriptive and should contain your primary keyword(s) for the page.

HTH! :)

--Torka :propeller:

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,774 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

You also might want to read my title tag article to have a better understanding of how that works and what it might consist of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!