• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

13-Year-Old Domain With Good Rankings And Traffic. Client Wants To Cha

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dsutton

dsutton

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:04 PM

I manage an SEO project for a lawyer, and after significant time and effort, we've succeeded in getting his domain ranked very well for some very competitive keywords (organic and on places listings). I'm very pleased with the progress so far.

We're also building a new website for this client, and as part of the update, they've asked me to change their domain to a new one that reflects a change in their firm's name. I've strongly advised against doing this, as some of the work we've done is specific to the old domain, and replacing it can jeopardize things.

What is the recommended approach here? Should we keep the old domain, but just use the new firm name and logo in the new site? Or is there a safe way to incorporate the new domain while preserving the rankings? Will domain redirection work?

Any advice is appreciated.

thanks.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

Should we keep the old domain, but just use the new firm name and logo in the new site? Or is there a safe way to incorporate the new domain while preserving the rankings? Will domain redirection work?

You'll want to go in your Google Webmaster Tools account and do a "change of address" (or something like that) where you tell them the new site. Then you set up a new GWMT account for the new domain. Then you 301 redirect the old domain to the new on a 1-1 basis. GWMT also has these instructions.

#3 dsutton

dsutton

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:47 PM

Thanks, Jill. I'll check it out in GWMT. Do you think there's any chance that doing this will reduce the value of the existing backlinks we have now that point to the old domain? Would we be better off keeping the new site on the old domain?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Do you think there's any chance that doing this will reduce the value of the existing backlinks we have now that point to the old domain?

It should be fine.

BUT you are redesigning the site, so that in and of itself can have an effect.

#5 dsutton

dsutton

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Thanks again, Jill. Your feedback is appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!