• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Backlinks From Websites I Build

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:18 AM

Hi all

I am a web developer and my portfolio of sites is quite vast now. I also have my own website which is a portfolio of the sites I build with some additional pages on Web Design, Graphic Design and Branding which are the services we offer.

Now as I am building the sites for the client, I add a backlink to the footer of the sites which links to my own website. I can of course change the link phrase of the backlink on any site I wish and tyically it is as follows:

>Web Design</a>
>Graphic Design</a>
>Branding</a>

We only add one link per site footer but as some sites are huge e-commerce sites with thousands of pages, the total number of links can be very high albeit diluted somewhat.

My question is, is there any problems with linking back to my site from a website that (for example) could be selling Baby Nappies & Clothes? I.e. the backlinking website has absolutely no content in common with my own business website?

Could these links be seen as spammy by the search engines?

I don't think it has ever had a detrimental effect on my rankings however my rankings for the search phrases mentioned above have never been that great anyway so how would I know!?

Thanks for reading.
Kris

Edited by Kris, 17 May 2012 - 04:19 AM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,948 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:54 AM

I would think search engine software engineers are pretty much used to finding "designed by" links on other pages by now, and have long since created an "ignore these" flag.

#3 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:11 AM

Well the thing is we don't write "designed by" in the link phrase so there would be no reason for the algo's to think it was a "designed by" link. Essentially, its just a follow hyperlink to my website from every page on their website.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,948 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:51 AM

"follow" links do not exist, you can only tell search indexers NOT to do something. Other than that they will "decide" for themselves whether to "follow" the URL or not.

Whether it says "designed by" or not, doesn't really matter.

#5 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:56 AM

Point taken.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:14 AM

It's fine to say designed by your company and link to it with your company name. But spammy to stick a keyword rich link to your site from your client's sites. Especially after Penguin.

#7 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Well I thought that but nearly all of the links we create use keyword rich text and I haven't noticed any detrimental effect on our pages (just yet anyway). We have also tried footer links as such:

<a href="http://www.mysite.com/graphic-design">graphic design</a> by <a href="http://www.mysite.com">My Company Name</a>

We create two links, one to the homepage of our site and one to the services page of our site of that link same text.

No idea if this is good or bad practice based on anyones experience?

Thanks for your input guys.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

It's probably okay, but I'd have it only be from the home page not every page.

#9 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:06 AM

For any specific reason Jill? As its a footer link it is included in every page of the sites but I can easily change this. Just wondered what the benefit of only having it on one page would be?

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

Simply to avoid it seeming spammy. Anyone who wants to find out who designed the website should know to look at the home page.

#11 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

OK, thanks for all the input.

#12 Vultren

Vultren

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Simply to avoid it seeming spammy. Anyone who wants to find out who designed the website should know to look at the home page.

To add to that- the link, in most cases, shouldn't be used to 'boost' your rankings in a search engine for specific queries. You should use it for the power of direct referrals by others who admire the site and want you to create one for you.

Plus... you don't see a construction company putting a "built by" sign in every room of a house would you? It's pointless.

#13 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,948 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

And of course if it is CMS based, putting your name to something after clients have been set loose with a "WYSI(almost)WYG" editor, is probably not a really good idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!