• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

My Comical Experiment With Cheap Link Building

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Vultren

Vultren

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

I know there is already discussion here already, However I wanted to share my experiment with this junk.

Let me start of by explaining that I was not looking for any "PR" jumps, or links from "Hight PR Sites" or any "dofollow" links (whatever any of that even means.) This was purely an experiment that I used on one of my sites that doesn't do much, rank well for queries, or produce any conversions.

At first, I looked for the absolute biggest "red flag" junk listing I could find. I found it, and purchased it for a mere $5 (it was worth it so I could come on the SEO and marketing forums and allow others to laugh.)

Anyway, turns out it wasn't what they claimed (is anyone shocked???)

150+ MANUALLY built, High QUALITY Backlinks to Your Website. The PR Comes from the actual URL your backlink will be built on {NOT THE DOMAIN}. PR Will Range from a Minimum of PR1 To a Maximum of PR5! This is what makes this gig Unique From others here on Fiverr. Links Include some High Quality Dofollow Links! I always Give Huge Bonuses! Dominate Google with ease with these High Quality Links!

I purchase. Wait 3 days for the order to process. And some how, it was done in a matter of 30 min! I was amazed anyone could manually build 150+ back links that fast! These are high quality too! I was for sure going to #1 on Google!!! Well turns out, it was spam. And not only that, but he gave me a BONUS 300 links!!! Wow what a guy!

I did what everyone in that crappy posting should have done and left him bad reviews. The poster instantly freaks out because this is how he feeds his family through good postings, yadda yadda yadda.

A part of his 5 private messages he sends me, he offers this:

In any case, I am offering you 2 Bonus WIKI Contextual gigs with EDU/GOV links in exchange for having the review removed,
I am not asking for positive feedback, just to have it removed thats all,
Nobody wins with the negative review on there,

So that's my story. If you are a novice and believe this is 'SEO' well, uhh... not sure what to tell you other than learn what SEO actually is. If you're a link builder/marketer, (i'm sure you already know this) stay away from [removed]!!

I'm not going to hyperlink these, but this is the crap that my "report" came back with. Remember, these are all "dofollow" and high PR ranking websites!!

brandvista.com/?p=1721
mauriciolucio.com/?p=80
habitatforartists.org/wp/?p=847
chernev.ru/kollekciya-veb-redaktorov.html

Edited by Jill, 17 May 2012 - 08:06 AM.
Removed name of company as per forum rules

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,729 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hi Tony,

To stop the board from auto linking, leave off the http and the www.

So the seed "investment" hasn't yielded a silver apple OR a golden pear (as yet) :)

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

Anyone who would think spending 5 bucks would get them good links deserves what they get.
  • briancrouch likes this

#4 Vultren

Vultren

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

Thanks for the edit Jill. My apologizes for the mistake.

Turns out I am getting a refund AND those $10 extra .EDU/GOV back links!! I am so happy!
In all seriousness, this has been a great learning experience actually. I've always stayed away from this, but for $5 and to see how the search engines respond was definitely worth it.

#5 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:11 AM

Anyone who would think spending 5 bucks would get them good links deserves what they get.

Can one get good links spending XYZ? I'm confused about all this link building stuff.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:01 AM

Probably not these days. They may be "good" temporarily, but if they're purchased in bulk, it's only a matter of time before Google discovers the networks and discounts or penalizes them.

#7 MarcP

MarcP

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Probably not these days. They may be "good" temporarily, but if they're purchased in bulk, it's only a matter of time before Google discovers the networks and discounts or penalizes them.

I didn't know you could purchase links not in bulk. All the services I've seen are bulk.

#8 Vultren

Vultren

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

I didn't know you could purchase links not in bulk. All the services I've seen are bulk.

Going to have to keep looking. Those probably aren't the services you're looking for. Not only that, but why buy links?? Why not pay a marketer who will market your business and probably send off links as a part of the campaign??

#9 Cwtguy87

Cwtguy87

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:08 AM

I wouldn't let this turn you off from Fiverr at all for SEO. I would 99.9% of the time never use it for buying links. There are a few occassions when you might want to buy one very contextual very relevant link but that means one. I have never bought a links package. They are all junk. However if someone is offering their blog or website that is very related and it is high traffic and/or do follow (few are) then it's good.

Another great use of Fiverr, although not SEO has been social help. Sometimes when you start a website or blog and you do not have a social following or know how to get one, paying a few people with a lot of followers and friends to share it can be very beneficial. I have had a couple of people tweet my links to 10,000's. Again, I stick to smaller numbers of links. I don't buy packages that share on a persons 20 accounts that will lead to nowhere. This is not a link building strategy but instead a traffic and social strategy.

The last one I use is content and article writing services. Again, not strictest form of SEO but very affective if done correctly. Believe it or not there are a few authors one there who write incredible content for $5, only one article but still well worth the money. Some from Europe will even produce 5-10 great articles for $5. I have only gotten burned once with a spun article and was fast to receive a refund.

My number one rule is to stick to North American authors. My target audience is here and I have found the best experience buying their services and receiving what I want. Plus when it comes to social sharing, links and articles they all appear less spammy in search.

Hope my personal experience helps. Thanks for sharing.
  • briancrouch likes this

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

The last one I use is content and article writing services. Again, not strictest form of SEO but very affective if done correctly. Believe it or not there are a few authors one there who write incredible content for $5, only one article but still well worth the money.

There's no way they could be good. Paying for $5 articles is exactly what Google is targeting lately. I would highly recommend against doing anything remotely like this.
  • slinky likes this

#11 Cwtguy87

Cwtguy87

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:20 PM

There's no way they could be good. Paying for $5 articles is exactly what Google is targeting lately. I would highly recommend against doing anything remotely like this.

Actually in the tons of junk ones there are a few great authors. I have had to waste a few gigs (and get my money back) before I found an author who enjoys writing, who is really good at it and does not use any research tools like the Keywords Tool or try to stuff it with content they scraped elsewhere.

They are American college students hungry for a few extra bucks who would rather write a short 400-500 article for $5 cash than write there 2,000 word history essay. A few articles a week is easily enough for some beer money, a movie or a night on the town.

I am not talking about revolutionary stuff but I am getting new and completely original articles and most of them are not used on the website per se. Many are included in free email newsletters and ebooks, which are not under the almight control of Google.

#12 briancrouch

briancrouch

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Everyday, some of these kids are writing 300 word responses on forums or blogs, or Facebook, or in emails, so I can see why they would be willing to write that amount for $5 or so.

I haven't used Fiverr or any of the other low-cost writing services, but my company did with a company I won't name in Boston that begins with "B." The writing wasn't necessarily of poor quality, but it wasn't relevant enough, didn't really make sense in the context of the site altogether. They didn't "get us" or our audience, and for the most part it just seemed like irrelevant filler fluff.

#13 slinky

slinky

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:24 PM

Most of the $5 articles read like $5 articles. They are garbage. It's like the spun stuff. Sure it's "better" than total garbage but it's still something readers will leave within 20 seconds of reading the article.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!