• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Random Address Appearing In Search Results

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm posting this as much to bring this to your attention as expecting an answer.

I noticed I was getting very little traffic for my usually successful keyword Ben Nevis. So fearing I might be a Penquin/Panda victim I checked the search results. I'm coming out at No 1 position after the paid ads, and above Wikipedia. But then I noticed that under the snippet from my site, it had this sentence:

Show map of 103 High Street, Fort William, PH33 6DG

Now, my site describes the walk up Ben Nevis - which is not located in a shop on a High Street!! I also notice the same address is showing the the Wikipedia entry below.

I think this is having a bad effect on my traffic as people are assuming it must be a shop.

I don't see that this improves the search results - and don't know what I can do to have the address removed? Has anyone else been affected? What are Google thinking about!!

Just to clarify, there is no address mentioned anywhere on my site, and to my knowledge, the Great Ben has not been given a postcode! :0)

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,018 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:03 AM

The map link is under the Wikipedia entry for me.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

This demonstrates something that I suppose we all know: Two people can perform the idential search, and get totally different search results (even in the same country).

When I search for Ben Nevis, I don't see any map, nor any reference to any shops (on the first page). The Wikipedia article is at the top, followed by a general guide to Ben Nevis, followed by a few tourist sites. Your own site, Trish, is at number 7, and is the first one that specifically deals with walks on the Ben.

I know this doesn't answer your question. But it does go to show how fast the target is constantly moving.

Mike

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,635 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

And I'm seeing the Wikipedia article in the #1 spot... with the link to the map right under it. Then several other sites without any map link, some images, and down in position 5, another site (visit-fortwilliam.co.uk - is that yours?) with the map link again. Not sure why only those two sites would show the bogus map link. Very odd. :hmm:

--Torka :propeller:

#5 trishH

trishH

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:35 AM

Bit of a mute point now - I've disappeared off the face of the earth for this keyword since last Friday! Talk about the ups and downs of Google! Penguin 1.1?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!