• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Getting Ga To Recognize Affiliate Traffic As Affiliate Traffic

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

I am working on a site that gets a lot of affiliate traffic. I would like to get google analytics to recognize this as a "medium" (or whatever) by understanding the affiliate URL paratmers. They look like this:
?affid=affname_989898375

Any ideas?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:48 AM

Go to referrers and create a filter to show all those that contain (or whatever).

#3 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:29 AM

What I'm trying to do is have "affiliates" show up as a separate medium alongside cpc, organic, referrals, email, etc.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:14 AM

You can have them show up in campaigns, but you'd have to add the medium UTM code to the URL string. Come to think of it, that might do what you want.

#5 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:38 AM

That would be ideal, but unfortunately not possible. There is an affiliate system in place where affiliates can get their own links. A lot of them already have their links and I can't make it add a URL parameter.

I just remembered hearing that you could get GA to recognize arbitrary parameters containing source info. IE treat afid=anything as utm_medium=affiliates

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

I just remembered hearing that you could get GA to recognize arbitrary parameters containing source info. IE treat afid=anything as utm_medium=affiliates

I don't know about that, but you could easily do what I suggested in the first post and make it an Advanced Segment or Custom Report or even a dashboard.

#7 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Cheers Jill,

I actually have afid filtered out (so that GA understands that they are all the same page) so I can't use it for filtering. I guess there isn't an easy fox for this.

#8 AlDugan

AlDugan

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:51 PM

Hi Nethy,

This is possible with some custom JavaScript. You'll want to search for info on _setCampSourceKey, _setCampMediumKey, etc. It is also possible to write some more advanced JavaScript to set your campaign values via JavaScript instead of having to rely on URL parameters but this is a little more complicated with GA because they don't provide a direct solution for doing so. You may find the following article useful: http://blog.intlock....ogle-analytics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!