• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Question About Landing Pages With Content From Other Pages

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kris

Kris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:13 AM

Hi all

I have been asked to re-develop a website which currently relies heavily on Adwords. They want to push their organic rankings as does everyone else but maintina what they have already achieved.

Their current website sells Jewellery which is an incredibily saturated market hence the use of Adwords to help them get along. I have been looking at the structure of the site and I noticed something which has prompted me to post a question and get your thoughts.

for example, they have product categories as such:

- Silver Rings
- Silver Bracelets
- Silver Necklaces

Now they come absolutely knowhere in the organic ranking for these search terms (as you would expect) with them being a small private company however they have created other categories (for example I have made the following up):

- bar mitzvah & christening jewellery
- glamorous jewellery

Of which the above search terms yeald much less results in Google and they rank pretty well for but the products on these pages are those which are fed from the Silver Rings, Silver Bracelets and Necklaces pages hence still driving traffic to those products they want to sell.

Now obviously I understand that the chances of someone who wants a Silver Ring is not going to search for "Glamourous Jewellery" however in my re-build of the site, do you think it would be worth 301 redirecting all "link juice" from "Glamourous Jewellery" back to Silver Rings (for example) or actually keep the Glamourous Jewellery page even though they are not getting many click throughs from this search term but are actually top of the search results for that search term? The idea being maybe someday people will search for "Glamorous Jewellery" and they would be found.

Just to re-itrerate, I have made up the categories "Glamorous Jewellery" to prevent advertising which website I am working on.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kris

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,939 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

With a 301 redirect the document that gets or may get referrals for "Glamorous Jewellery" will not exist any more so that potential traffic would be lost, and if I clicked through to a URI that supposedly matched my query and ended up on a page that doesn't, I would be somewhat miffed, rather than ready to buy something.

FORGET ABOUT "rankings" concentrate on what actually DOES get traffic!!!

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258
http://webmaster-tal...he-google-dance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!