• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Responsive Design And Seo

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:11 AM

Do you have any idea how does Responsive Design affects SEO ?

Few of my sites are ranking in google top10 , on different google engines ( TLDs ), but when I try same searches from my mobile phone I am not ranking even in the top30.

What shall be the cause for this ? The fact that the sites were not mobile friendly until one week ago when I have implemented responsive design or because that most of the backlinks are coming from websites/pages that are not mobile friendly?

I shall be able to post a reply on this topic in about one month when I will get the first results.

Also, can you recommend a way of checking google mobile SERP directly from a desktop browser without using a mobile emulator ? directly by URL, something like google.com?mobile=1 or so?

Thanks,
SD

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,848 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:27 AM

Do you have any idea how does Responsive Design affects SEO ?

It doesn't.

SEO is the same process regardless of "Responsive Design" or not.

Few of my sites are ranking in google top10 , on different google engines ( TLDs ), but when I try same searches from my mobile phone I am not ranking even in the top30.

Probably absolutely nothing at all to to with "Responsive Design" but all to do with different datacentres/server clusters.

#3 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

Don't you think google will see the site as being mobile friendly and will rank it different when accessing google for mobile ? There are many articles on Internet even SEO reports platforms that consider mobile version of the site to be very important for SEO.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,848 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

Crawlers read HTML source. Full stop (period for the US)

They don't load or render images.
They don't trigger javascript events,
They don't render stylesheet rules

There are many articles on Internet even SEO reports platforms that consider mobile version of the site to be very important for SEO

Yeeesss! There are many "articles" written by so-called "SEO experts" that espouse many, many "theories" about what is "important", and most of them are totally wrong.

Don't you think google will see the site as being mobile friendly

So tell me, what is "mobile friendly"??
I make no "special arrangements" for mobiles at all and all the sites I have ever done are perfectly usable on every mobile device I have tried them on from the 2.6in screen of the Nokia N95, several Blackberry models, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, Sony Vivaz pro, Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy Note, the 5" screen on a Dell streak Tablet, 7" Android tablet, iPad, various netbooks and so on.

To Google's indexer, it really makes no difference if the documents are "mobile friendly", "printer friendly" or whatever friendly, if it's HTML code they will read it, extract the text and ignore the code they do not require.

#5 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:18 AM

Crawlers read HTML source. Full stop (period for the US)

They don't load or render images.
They don't trigger javascript events,
They don't render stylesheet rules

This is the half of the answer to my question, if google consider responsive design websites authentic mobile websites or not.

Yeeesss! There are many "articles" written by so-called "SEO experts" that espouse many, many "theories" about what is "important", and most of them are totally wrong.

I agree but I am not talking about the small blogs, I am talking about the big SEO players.

So tell me, what is "mobile friendly"??
I make no "special arrangements" for mobiles at all and all the sites I have ever done are perfectly usable on every mobile device I have tried them on from the 2.6in screen of the Nokia N95, several Blackberry models, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, Sony Vivaz pro, Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy Note, the 5" screen on a Dell streak Tablet, 7" Android tablet, iPad, various netbooks and so on.

For sure a good web developer can handle the web page to look good on most of the mobile devices. Google has deliver on tablets same kind of content as for desktops until few months ago. Now the things has changed according to http://goo.gl/lOZBA .

On the other hand, do not forget about other phones with a smaller screens that are not able to display complex layouts.

Take ebay as example, when using a mobile phone, is much easier to complete a search on m.ebay.com than on www. , this will result in more page views, lower bounce rate, higher time on site , things that are very important for google when it ranks a site and to not forget about on other very important variable for google -> page loading speed -> that will be much loewr than loading the whole www site.

A thing is clear, only because of the improvements mentioned above, responsive design is important for ranking higher on SERPs.

To Google's indexer, it really makes no difference if the documents are "mobile friendly", "printer friendly" or whatever friendly, if it's HTML code they will read it, extract the text and ignore the code they do not require.

I have to disagree with you on this, as google understood the power of mobile users is has already developed google-mobile bots that are able to crawl websites as different mobile phones with different screen sizes. Even more since December 2011, Google mobile has start making the difference between desktops and tablets/smartphones devices by introducing two main agents on google mobile bot

SAMSUNG-SGH-E250 and Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) .

Having in mind that responsive design brings nice layouts of the same page on different browser sizes and will improve the user experience, but in the same time it will not decrease the page load speed as all layouts will be loaded at once, my

question still remains:

Will google mobile bot consider responsive design websites as being an authentic mobile website or not ?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,929 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

Will google mobile bot consider responsive design websites as being an authentic mobile website or not ?

Yes.

But since you already answered your own question above:

A thing is clear, only because of the improvements mentioned above, responsive design is important for ranking higher on SERPs.

Why do you ask?

#7 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thank you all for the answers.

Why do you ask?

Because a normal mobile site has only few KB of HTML code. In responsive design technology, the mobile page contains the whole website page HTML , JS, Styles code even images, all layouts are being loaded at once, and this will take a little bit more than few KB, the layout is changing in same time with the browser size and this will increase the page load speed and but will improve the bouncerate and time on page, So it has the page load speed disadvantage.

Interesting to have an answer from someone that has tested it already, otherwise I will be able to post an answer in about 2-4 weeks ...

Edited by sergiuliano, 23 April 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#8 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,597 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:42 AM

I agree but I am not talking about the small blogs, I am talking about the big SEO players.

And what makes you think Chris was only talking about "small blogs"? :giggle:

There are plenty of people in the SEO industry who are a lot better at self-promotion than they are at actual SEO. If I made money every time one of the so-called "big SEO players" stated their personal opinion as fact, came up with some totally paranoid conspiracy theory or simply handed out really terrible advice, I could have retired wealthy a long time ago.

Just because the person saying the thing is famous, this doesn't mean what they're saying MUST be true. Trust, but verify.

--Torka :propeller:

#9 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

And what makes you think Chris was only talking about "small blogs"? :giggle:

This is the impression I had since Chris seems to miss some important info published on google.com by google webmasters developers team and I consider them to be the BIG Players ;) ( as long as he mentioned that google makes no difference if a site is mobile or not ) , anyway I am here to try to find out your opinion on different subjects so any answer is welcomed :goodjob: ... I also try to not go offtopic .. thanks

Edited by sergiuliano, 23 April 2012 - 12:12 PM.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,848 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

(as long as he mentioned that google makes no difference if a site is mobile or not )

That's because HTML code, is HTML code, is HTML code. It matters little whether the HTML code is created for a browser, a printer, a mobile device or a screen reader, it is STILL HTML, and that is ALL the crawler is served with.

A "Lo-fi design" for mobile? To Google's crawlers and indexers it wouldn't matter if it was "Wi-Fi" or even "Sci-Fi" it is just HTML code, sure Google's algo might be able to "guess" or rather make an analysis based on some "signals" within the served document at the "mobile friendliness" of that particular URI but other than that it's just HTML source code.

#11 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

.... might be able to "guess" or rather make an analysis based on some "signals" within the served document at the "mobile friendliness" of that particular URI ...

The "signals" list is what I am looking for ... any suggestions on this ?

#12 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,848 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:38 PM

Maybe the "viewport" meta element ?

https://developer.mo...ewport_meta_tag it was originally developed for use by Apple for the iPhone and their Safari mobile browser, and has been taken up by Google for the Android OS and browsers.

#13 sergiuliano

sergiuliano

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

OK, the answer comming from Google Webmasters:

http://googlewebmast...g-power-of.html

Seems that they love responsive design as an alternative for developing websites for mobile devices

:)

#14 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,848 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:45 AM

OK, the answer comming from Google Webmasters:

http://googlewebmast...g-power-of.html

Seems that they love responsive design as an alternative for developing websites for mobile devices

OK????
So how does the Google Webmaster Team writing an informative article on HOW webmasters could/should develop their documents to be compatible and usable with all manner of devices and screen resolutions equate to Google search using media queries to determine what should be shown for "mobile search"?

Certainly they MAY do that, but the article you linked to in no way shape or form is any kind of indication that it is fact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!