• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Site Penalized For Duplicate Content? G Hates My Site!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi Jill,

That is a generalized view published on Search Engine Land. What it suggest is that website owners shouldn't operate blindly, but rather, analyze key metrics. If it appears to be well out of the norm, you may want to adjust your marketing strategies -- link bait, etc. to make them fall into a reasonable profile. If your strategies produce 90% exact match anchor text, you may be the victim of a penalty.

A good analogy -- if your deductions on your tax return are outside of established averages for your income level, your return may be kicked out for audit.

Google clearly has metrics they apply for algorithmic penalties. Unfortunately, they won't publish those thresholds as the IRS does. So, we have to guess.

Note - Those thresholds may not be the same for every vertical so you may have to adjust the above guidelines to match actual experience in your industry.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Any link building will produce numbers out of the norm, because by its very nature it's spammy.

If you get links because you've got awesome stuff that you have marketed well, then you don't need to worry about how many are this and how many are that.

Exactly how it should be.

#18 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

There's a lot of truth to that. Dan Thies has a link building package that trains people how to do exactly that. I recommend it.

#19 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:07 PM

CF,

Thanks again for the reply and added information. I'll check those links out and read more. Never can learn enough.

However, I have a HUGE problem now!...

The dang site disappeared AGAIN altogether from Google. I'm no where to be found in the top 100. Just like before, the homepage and all it's pages show up at G when I site:http://www.mysite.com BUT using any keyword combination that I'm trying to rank for I get NO love... again! Not sure why this happened because now it's beyond the delay process as the site was there... for a moment!!!

It was likely just a time delay factor after your site having been offline.

I did mention something to that fact prior because like I said, it ranked well before the site went down for almost a month. I totally agree. Or actually 87.5% agree because you never really know!

In regards to CF's post...

...that sounds like BS to me...

Ok, I don't mean to offend you Jill, but there's something I just have to get out...

You see, you have to learn to stop beating around the bush, tip toeing around the point so to speak and just say what's on your mind. No need to hold back your thoughts or feelings. We can handle it. LOL! :D

Thank y'all for the help and time you take to answer my questions, etc. It helps.

Webseeker
  • Jill likes this

#20 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,795 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

The dang site disappeared AGAIN altogether from Google. I'm no where to be found in the top 100. Just like before, the homepage and all it's pages show up at G when I site:http://www.mysite.com BUT using any keyword combination that I'm trying to rank for I get NO love... again!

Nothing particularly new there then.

Why are you even checking "rankings"???

http://searchenginel...f-success-13258
http://webmaster-tal...he-google-dance

#21 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:42 PM

Why are you even checking "rankings"???

Are you serious? I mean, really? Come on, you know.

Because I want to know where my site(s) are at so I can see if something needs to be done to keep their good rankings. Good rankings equate to more eye balls to my website so I can turn those leads into converted sales. If I'm on page 2, that's far from #1, #2 & #3 positions... something I've enjoyed for years; even on the national level.

I've never before experienced my site jumping around like this like it's some sort of jack-in-the-box... now you see it, now you don't!

I also feel since this is a site that caters to a local audience and the competition is pathetic, I should at least be on page 1 somewhere! To put salt in the wound even more, I don't even get top 100 love from G at all. Poof! Gone. I'm just making minor adjustments to the site and am trying to feel confident the site will be back after another short period of time passes.

You have your PageRank addicts, anchor text fanatics, keyword density freaks, only content matters hacks, backlink obsessives and overzealous PPC pro wannabes. I think my interest in checking my rank a little more often than most, especially under the circumstance of a site's total disappearance from G, is a warranted fixation I think will pass once said site has shown back up. LOL!

I'll read those links you posted. I suspect there's some info there I could use.

Thanks!

Webseeker

#22 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Webseeker, rankings are a misleading signal. You need to be focusing on the amount of referral traffic you get from each search engine.

There is no one single ranking. You're chasing phantoms.
  • Jill likes this

#23 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hi @Webseeker

It's a widely reported phenomenon for rankings to jump all over the place on new sites when their just gaining rankings. In my experience, it especially happens when you're adding a lot of new content with many new keywords and it's a competitive vertical. All kinds of keywords will surge to the top and then disappear after 2 or 3 days. It also seems to happen when the algo is active with new, large updates, like now.

That may be what you're experiencing.

What many believe is the "Over Optimization" penalty hit yesterday --> http://www.seroundta...2012-15023.html Maybe that has something to do with it? Sites are disappearing.

I also wondered if it was possible that you had a penalty and they just hadn't sent a notice yet -- that was the point of the John Mu quote I posted before.

I would watch for a couple of weeks yet and keep checking your WMT notices.

I would also run a test -- on one or two keywords I'd under-optimize those pages the way that guy did in the article I posted before. You have little to lose and a lot to learn.

If this doesn't change and tests of some of the keywords doesn't produce any results, I think we need to start thinking in terms of a penalty. We can decide what to do then.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ChuckFinley, 18 April 2012 - 03:45 PM.

#24 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Or you could just be seeing a different database where your listing hadn't yet propagated back in. (Most likely scenario in this situation.)
  • Webseeker likes this

#25 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,795 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:30 PM

Are you serious? I mean, really? Come on, you know.

Nope I haven't checked the "ranking" of a page for any particular keywords/phrase in well over ten years

I'll read those links you posted. I suspect there's some info there I could use

Well there's information there on why you stop wasting your effort looking at "ranking" anyway.

#26 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

CF,

I do know that the changes I did are much better for the site in the long run, regardless of it's current ranking in the SERPS. Some things were messed up. Thanks.

============
Jill,

Without sounding like a "yes man", I find myself all too much agreeing with much of what you have to say, but those were my thoughts too as I realize not all the data centers give out the same results. Thank you much.

============
And CH,

Can't forget about you! Yes, good information... and thanks for that, but "wasting" my efforts. Last night I was here multiple times and had to check my rank again. LOL! It took me all of 57 seconds to go to G, check my rank on all of page 1 and be done. I can spare the minute. I just feel if I don't see my site on page 1, then my clients don't see me either and I can't convert leads that don't contact me. Thanks for the advice. It's good to get honest feedback.

=====================================

My Site Is Back! ... again!

I am at positions #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7.
I am at #8 too. Picked up by some listing service and it's shared with one other competitor.
I also hold positions #9 & #10.

For now I'm holding my own and hopefully G will stop jumping my site around, but we know changes are inevitable. That's why I keep telling you guys not to worry and just be patient... keep writing good content. LOL!

Thanks for the all the help. I have learned some things, contrary to what I said prior.

Webseeker

#27 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,795 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:33 PM

I just feel if I don't see my site on page 1, then my clients don't see me either

You would be wrong there. What you see it NOT what anyone else may see.

Your pages could be first page for doxens of different searches, yet they may be absolutely nowhere for any one else, it's a bit like peeing yourself whilst wearing dark trousers, you get a warm feeling and no one notices.

The converse could also be true, your pages could be getting shown for lots of queries by others while being nowhere for you, and then of course you will start messing about to get it "ranking" for you, while simultaneously "breaking it" for others.

If you are not getting traffic from SE referrals then something may be wrong.

#28 Webseeker

Webseeker

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hey CH, yeah, you're right. What others may see and I see could be completely different, but there's only so many effective keywords I could use in this scenario. Also, from what I knew and what Jill confirmed, the data could be different from data center to data center, etc.

Not sure what you mean by search engine referrals,(I'd like know, really) however, my other sites are doing good, well, at least one of them is doing awesome... and the others are still a work in progress. LOL!

...it's a bit like peeing yourself whilst wearing dark trousers, you get a warm feeling and no one notices.

Woah! Experience in that scenario, have you? That's totally out of my field of experience and knowledge, so I'll just take your word for it... because pee isn't something I've really taken much time to ponder over. :sarcastic_blum: Anyway, I get the analogy and understand what you're sayin'.

Thank you.

Webseeker :D

#29 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:28 AM

search engine referrals,

Are people finding your site through the keywords? Your analytics will tell you which kws are working for you and which aren't. Apparently you haven't read my article yet on why rankings are a poor measure of success.

#30 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,795 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

Search engine "referrals" are the "click-throughs" from Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the