• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

How To Handle New Address, Phone For Nap Consistency In Local

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 brownaddesign

brownaddesign

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I recently moved from my home office (which I've had for several years) to a new office in a neighboring city. I anticipate being at this new office for about 6-8 months and then moving into a larger and longer-term office situation (same city but street address and probably zip code would change).

So my question is, how do I approach this from a local optimization standpoint? Any local directories, yellow page type sites, etc. have my home office address. I'm wondering if the correct approach would be to search for all instances of my home office address/phone and manually update each site/profile to my new office address/phone?

And since I'm looking to change addresses again in the near future, how would this factor into my approach?

I wanted to get advice on the best approach before I proceed further.

- Neil

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,699 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Not really a question regarding SEO 'local' or not, but from a business point of view would it make sense to ensure that your address and telephone number is correct for any real people finding those pages and trying to contact your busines???

Edited by chrishirst, 13 April 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#3 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hi Neil,

Very good questions. This is critical to your local rankings.

NAP - name, address, phone number is critical to establishing your online identity for Local Search purposes. Changing address will create many problems for the search engines, it's equivalent to re-branding your business which is a big job and can take a year or more to work out all of the online problems that will ensue. And, there will be many problems, to include the possibility of your Google Places page being rejected which will take 2 to 3 months to recover, if you know what you are doing.

As a result, I wouldn't recommend changing your online address 2 times. Maybe you can continue to use your home address until you make the final move?

Here's an article on the importance of NAP --> http://searchenginel...-listings-29333

When you do make the change, you will need to update any Local Profiles that you have claimed, especially Google Places, Yahoo Local and Bing Local. All others can be updated by data providers that scrape your Local information and blast it out to 1,000's of directories, search engines, and other data providers. That's what causes the confusion. There will be multiple data providers blasting out conflicting versions of your NAP and other identity information. It will take some time for the various data providers' algorithms to receive and trust the new data and for the local directories to trust the new information. Localeze listings have a high degree of relevance that will help a lot to speed up the process.

During this period, Google will be active and will scrape data from directories and other sources and/or purchase data from data providers that is different from your new Places page and they may use it to create duplicate Places pages. (Google's trust factors for receiving new information seems to be very low.) Duplicate Places pages are in violation of their Quality Guidelines so they may reject your primary Places page, even though they created the duplicate page! You should check for duplicate Places pages frequently and merge them into your primary page before this happens to you. It will be difficult to recover your Places page if this happens (see above). You'll have to keep checking for duplicate Places pages until you're sure your new identity is well established.

The best way to avoid this is to sign up with Localeze and purchase an Expanded listing with your new info. Localeze is the largest data provider so you will cover the largest amount of real estate if you use them. Conversely, trying to fight them when they have the wrong info is like swimming upstream against a tsunami. Having said that, there are many other data providers. You can probably limit your effort to the top 6, though --> http://getlisted.org...h_ecosystem.pdf . I would add UBL to the list to get to my top 6 --> https://www.ubl.org/index.aspx .

At a minimum, I would make sure Localeze has your updated information (you can do this for free), regardless of whether I pay for the Expanded service.

I would aslo recommend you go out to the top 50 to 100 local directories, claim your free listing and update it. You won't be able to claim some of them, they will only receive info from Localeze, the other data providers listed above, or other Local Directories such as City Search (hence, the importance of claiming all the top Local Directories, they all provide data to someone). If you have trouble, send them an e-mail and they will tell you where their data comes from and then set your local info up there.

Another thing that is very important is the address format you use. It should be in USPS format. To get the USPS format, do a zip code search for your address here --> https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action . It's very important that everything is exact, if the USPS uses "Rd" you must not use "Road". If Google sees "Rd" in one place and "Road" in another, they very likely will create a duplicate Places page that can get you rejected (see above), it happens all the time.

A big reason to use the USPS format is that is what Localeze uses -- remember the swimming against a tsunami analogy above?

I would go to GetListed.org --> http://getlisted.org . You can get a lot of good info there. David Mihm is recognized as one of the Top Experts in the industry. If you want to dig into this at a much higner level, here's the authoritative guide to Local Search Ranking Factors --> http://www.davidmihm...g-factors.shtml

Hope this helps, if you have other questions, feel free. There is much, much more, of course.
  • Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!