• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Content Site Redesign-Ga Cross Domain Configuration Considerations

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

We have a product that we are redesigning. In its current state, it’s a group individual newsletter sites designed in such a way to look like one giant content site with vertical categories but they are all actual specific newsletter sites. It also contains what the biz calls a marketing site under the product brand domain. (Please do not ask why it was done this way or the root of this-It was wrong but I am dealing with legacy stuff) I started here just as these sites were being finished and was tasked to get it working in GA. I decided to use cross domain tracking so we have 11 domains reporting into one roll up profile. The additional profile is a secure site where all our transactions take place. Each site reports into its own profile with the exception of the roll up site housed under the product brand domain. Looks like:
Productbranddomain [roll up profile]

NL1 [reports into itself only]
NL2 [reports into itself only]
NL3 [reports into itself only]
NL4 [reports into itself only]
NL5[reports into itself only]
NL6 [reports into itself only]
NL7 [reports into itself only]
NL8 [reports into itself only]
NL9 [reports into itself only]
Securedomain [reports into itself only]

For the redesigned version of the content site, all the content will be housed under product brand domain. It’s using a SiteCore CMS. We will still have the secure domain where the transactions take place. Of course, we will be doing both site level and page level redirects for each of those newsletter sites to the corresponding knowledge hub in the new site [knowledge hub = individual newsletter]. My Director of Development says we keep the same configuration because those knowledge hub/newsletter sites will not go away they will just have redirects on them. So it would be as we do above.

The thing is I don’t know about the _SetAllowLinker because we would not be say sending someone from the new site [productbranddomain] out to one of those newsletter sites? Again, if someone landed on one of the old newsletter sites, they get redirected?

Also, I am wondering if it would be duplicating things in the roll up profile because anyone coming in from one of the old knowledgebase/newsletter sites is 301ed over to the new site [more robust site because the content is now delivered under that product domain for all]? Ideally, it should be just the productbrand domain with the secure url reporting into it.
Product brand domain [roll up profile]
Secure domain [reports to itself]

Is there another way to do this in GA Cross Domain? Should I be thinking about this another way? I get where the Director of Development is coming from and I don’t want to loose data either. If this give you a headache, my apologies.

Thanks, DJKay

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

It's hard for me to follow you because I cannot tell if you and/or your director are using the terminology correctly.

For example, if you redirect a page -- IT'S GONE. There is nothing there any more, just a little command sent to whatever tries to fetch the page to look at something else.

So if that is really what you're doing, it sounds to me like you're trying to imbed the analytics code on both the redirected page and the destination, which is not useful.

If the "redirected" page is actually REFRESHING with a meta directive to load a different URL, it *IS* possible to use a delay that is long enough for all the Javascript on the page to fire -- which allows you to track visits through the page, but they'll also be counted on the other side of the refresh on the new page, which is not useful (you have to create an artificial lag time that should naturally result in some people not hanging around).

Frankly, I have never liked rollups in Analytics. They make it impossible to determine what individual sites are doing and inevitably I look at the site-specific reports while someone else is looking at the rollup and we cannot agree on numbers, which is not useful.

Does your company have a clear statement of what it is trying to accomplish with its analytics? THAT would be useful.

#3 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Hi Michael - Thanks for trying here. I appreciate it. I know its perplexing. It makes me scratch my head too.

So - in regards to the redirect, yes, I am thinking about it the way you said.."if you redirect a page -- IT'S GONE. There is nothing there any more, just a little command sent to whatever tries to fetch the page to look at something else."

You bring up a good point though, maybe he is seeing it that way. [If the "redirected" page is actually REFRESHING with a meta directive to load a different URL, it *IS* possible to use a delay that is long enough for all the Javascript on the page to fire] but again - That is why I am scratching my head at why he said this.

Well - There is no way to change the fact that all our transactions are on a separte secure url - that is the way they set it up and its not going to change. Its just there is no reason to have all those other sites report in because they are being redirected. And even with the option of the meta directive, why would we be double counting?

I am a marketer by trade. I do not code web sites, write java script whatever so I always try to get some advice when I come to things like this...but boy..this one is way off. I hope I can get some amnunition with my Google rep because this guy does not listen well.

Thanks, DJKay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!