• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

New Url Or Folder Off Existing Site?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 strike_balance

strike_balance

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:55 AM

I am working on a project that is promoting dining in a particular region of the southwest for a destination marketing company. The parent Web site is an authority in the region and ranks well for almost all terms related to the leisure experience in the region. A completely separate Web site was built to promote this culinary program as it involves a committee of different stakeholders, but it’s solely focused on the region.

My question is this. The site is on a different CMS, etc., but the overall experience on the site is similar to the parent DMO site in terms of creative. The client has a brand new domain that they purchased for this initiative, but we are also considering mapping the parent site URL to the new culinary site.

Parent: www.regionalsite.com

New Themed Site: www.regionalsite.com/theme/

Or

www.themeurl.com

My fear is that if I take the approach of the new URL that it will take forever for the site to build any link clout at all, as the client doesn’t really get the fact that working a link strategy is so critical. However, I know that having links from the regional site over to the theme URL will have an impact.

Also, if I do take the approach of mapping the URL to a new folder off of the parent domain, do I risk that 2nd tier links on the micro-site will have a challenge indexing as they will essentially be on tier 3?

Any advice would be appreciated.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,938 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

That really depends how you intend to link it in with the "main" site and "mini site", "sub domain" or "folder/directory" doesn't really matter.

If YOU treat it as a seperate entity, so will search engines and visitors.

If you treat it as an integral part of one site spanning several domain names, so will search engines.

You have to remember that SEs don't index pages or sites they index URLs and it does NOT specially matter if those URLs belong to the same parent or not.

And there is no "theming" or "categorising" for all the pages on a parent domain name.

Edited by chrishirst, 07 April 2012 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!