• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Linking To Facebook (Idiot-Level Question)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

This is a very basic question. I'm showing my ignorance here, but please keep in mind that my knowledge of Facebook is zero (I believe I am one of ten people in my city not to have a Facebook account).

Almost every site you see these days has a little button on it with an "f" icon that links to Facebook in some way. I simply want to know which is the best way to implement this button. I have already done this on a couple of sites, but I've no idea if I've done it right, or which of the two methods is more effective.

On my first site, I have created a button with a Facebook icon, placed it on the page, and added a hyperlink that looks something like this:

<a href="http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=www.MyPageRUL&title=My Page Title'">

I don't remember where that code came from. I must have found it on some site somewhere.

On my second site, I used a tool for generating a Facebook link that I found at http://developers.fa...e/plugins/like/

In this case, the code looks like this:

<iframe src="//www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=MyPageURL&amp;send=false
&amp ... various other parameters go here></iframe>'

When the page is rendered you see a small button with the Facebook icon, and the word Like next to it.

So, which of these two methods is better? (That is, which is more convenient from the point of view of a site visitor / Facebook member?) Or do they both lead to exactly the same result? Or is the whole thing a waste of time?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

You want the code for the "like" button, generally.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for that, Jill.

Can you explain to me in a few words what the difference is (as seen by the visitor)?

Thanks.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

No, because I don't know what the ones you're using are. I'd suggest reading through the Facebook devleoper pages about the like button.

This page shows the different options as well.

#5 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

I've read those articles that you referenced, Jill. I'm now more confused than I was before.

The page on social plugins say that these buttons are to "let you see what your friends have liked, commented on or shared on sites across the web." That's not my aim. I don't care what my "friends" are doing "across the web". What I want is for people to easily spread the word about my site.

But that's OK. You said that the basic Like button is the one I want, and I'm happy to go with that.

Unfortunately, I can't see any way of measuring its effectiveness. It would be nice to know which of my pages are liked by the most people, but I guess that not possible. Never mind.

Thanks again for your patience, Jill.

Edited by Mikl, 27 March 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

Mikl, the buttons themselves tell you how many people liked any given piece of content. They have a number which goes up everytime someone clicks and likes a post on Facebook. (Similar to the Twitter buttons.)

You really should sign up at Facebook for no other reason than to see how it's being used by businesses.

#7 cfreek

cfreek

AAAHHHH!!1one1!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Once you have a Facebook account and "connect" yourself with your website, you can view the stats of your likes, clicks, and shares in Facebook's Insights for all the websites, apps, and pages you have set up.

All the data you want is probably there, you just need to configure and access it.
http://www.facebook.com/insights/

#8 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:48 PM

Well, I did think about creating an account, but I don't really have any pressing reason to do so - except maybe to learn more about how it works.

I'll maybe do that when I can find the time. Right now, I just wanted to make sure my pages have the right buttons for users to click on. Thanks to your help, I think they now do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!