• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Panda - Duplicate Content On New Directory Site

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

We're busy looking at duplicate content because we don't want to get whacked by the Panda Bear. Many of our competitors have been -- good for us, unless .......

We've removed duplicate pages created by query string URL's and various versions of the domain -- www. , non- www. , www.my-domain.index, etc.

I was just wondering, though --

For any vendor on the site, they will have at least five pages pointing to their profile page -- city, state, region, industry group, specialty group.

Could these 5 different paths to the same page be construed to be duplicate content in the eyes of the Panda Bot?

What about e-commerce sites that provide different groupings that point to the same page -- on sale, new, highest review ratings, or links from related pages, main navigation and footer links, etc. Would that look like duplicate content to the Panda Bot?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

Yes, they are all duplicate content issues.

#3 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Hi Jill,

Thanks.

If I want to get better ranking for a group of products so I create a section on the Homepage and link directly to the product pages from there and I also link to them (about 5 clicks deep) from the main navigation, should I care about the duplicate content issue? I should add that doing so will increase user experience because those will be the products they really care about. Those products will rank fast once I get them one click from the Homepage. Is there a down side?

And once they get to those pages we'll send them to the "people who bought this also bought this" product pages that will enhance the user's shopping experience and my bottom line. All in all I think it's a huge win for user, website owner and Google.

???

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:54 AM

Linking to them from the home page is still just one internal link. It may or may not help them rank.

But i don't understand what that has to do with your dupe content issue. You'll have to deal with that regardless.

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,573 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

For any vendor on the site, they will have at least five pages pointing to their profile page -- city, state, region, industry group, specialty group.

Could these 5 different paths to the same page be construed to be duplicate content in the eyes of the Panda Bot?

What about e-commerce sites that provide different groupings that point to the same page -- on sale, new, highest review ratings, or links from related pages, main navigation and footer links, etc. Would that look like duplicate content to the Panda Bot?

I just want to make sure we're all on the same page here (so to speak). Are you talking about these different pages all linking to the same content at different URLs, or just different pages linking to the same page? If the city page and the industry page are both linking to a given profile page, there's nothing wrong with that, unless you're making it possible to get to that profile page at different URLs, based on the path taken to get there.

#6 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi Jill,

It's a lot harder to get pages crawled that are five levels deep. So, creating a link from the homepage will put them one link away and the crawlers will find them easily. We will then optimize all on-page factors that are available with related keywords, synonyms, keywords with modifiers, etc. as appropriate. For off-page we will also push content to appropriate sites where people that will be very interested can find it and a link back to that page. We'll focus on content that people are really very interested in that may even have a chance of going viral.

But back to my question -- am I creating duplicate content when I do this?

Site Structure Today -- Path from main nav: hompage main nav --> widget category page --> blue widgets category page --> blue widgets for bunnies category page --> blue widgets for bunnnies from abc manufacturer --> #1 blue widget (this is way to far from the homepage)

Proposed Added Path -- Homepage --> number-1-blue-widget

Both paths lead to the same page.

One person suggested that if I had the same or substantally similar content on 2 pages with different file names --

One URL -- Homepage --> number-1-blue-widget

Other URL -- Homepage --> other-number-1-blue-widget (same content as #1 blue widget)

that that would be duplicate content and should be of concern. They suggested that 100 different paths to the same page -- #1 blue widget in the case, is not considered to be duplicate content.

If they are not right and I wanted to have 10 pages to increase potential pages that could rank, I would need to create 10 separate unique pages that describe 10 different/special features of the product or features that are important to a specific market segment or many other marketing differentiators.

If they are right, I can define the market segment that I want to appeal to on the homepage or other page and send all those different groups to the same product page.

This makes a big difference as to how I structure the website and the amount of work required.

So, it's important that I find an answer to the main question -- if i create multiple paths to the same product page, is that duplicate content and will it present any problems as far as ranking?

Edited by ChuckFinley, 01 April 2012 - 05:21 PM.

#7 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

If the city page and the industry page are both linking to a given profile page, there's nothing wrong with that, unless you're making it possible to get to that profile page at different URLs, based on the path taken to get there.

Hi QWERTY,

See my question to Jill above. I'm suggesting different paths/url's to the same page. In the example above, there would be multiple paths to the same page and all URL's would end with /number-1-blue-widget.htm (the same page).

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

You have to stop thinking in terms of pages and instead think in terms of urls. In which case you should have only one URL for any piece of content. That should answer all of your above questions.

#9 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

I found a great post on point in this forum --> http://www.highranki...t-vs-usability/

@BBCoach says - The way I solved it is to have the same page name regardless of what category the product was associated in. For example, the page www.mysite.com/12345.html is the same page name in both the catnip category and the play toys category. From my observations this is the best way to handle duplicate product content resulting from multiple categorizations because really there isn't any.

Brilliant!

Any site, for marketing purposes, is going to need to highlight the most popular products and other categories may also include the product for user experience. Amazon lists top sellers, everyone does, and I just saw Brooks Brothers doing a great Top 100 (they serve contextually, though).

@BBCoach's method eliminates, for the user and crawlers, multiple URL's to the same page.

And better yet, 3D Shopping Cart does exactly this. Breadcrumbs show the full path so users know how to get back to the place they came from and duplicate content issues are eliminated.

So, case closed......another SEO problem solved. Or, is it another marketing problem solved....hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Edited by ChuckFinley, 14 April 2012 - 03:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!