• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Google Hits 'blog' Networks For Six (Home Run For The Baseball

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,099 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

So it has finally happened, the blog networks (link wheels etc) get canned!!! And about time too!!!

http://www.potpiegir...sky-is-falling/

Here's my take on it
http://webmaster-tal...k-networks#3133

#2 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

http://webmaster-tal...k-networks#3133

Good idea , WT back :)

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

I don't think Google is going after link wheels (which are normally built through social media profiles). They are just going after the SEO blog networks that are used for link building. You COULD try to use these networks for link wheeling but you'd have to have extraordinary posting privileges. Many of the networks won't allow the sites to cross-link to other sites in the network; and the subscribers usually have no idea of where their posts will be published in advance.

As best I could determine by the end of last week about 10 networks had been publicly accused of having suffered Google's wrath. Only 2 or 3 of them had confirmed the deindexings but a couple of others simply went offline.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,003 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

Seriously. It IS about time.

#5 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

I have had so many emails/enquiries about the old 'we have detected un-natural link pattern' that I am going nuts. I think that Google has pulled all the target urls from the blog networks and sent webmaster tools messages to every single person in there.

It really is about time, but I have been told of a few honest blogs that got de-indexed also. need to check it out.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

There is always a chance for a false positive in a system as large as Google's index. As I convert more of my personal sites to blogs I am trying to be careful to monitor Google's reactions to them in Webmaster Tools. So far, so good.

#7 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Many of the networks won't allow the sites to cross-link to other sites in the network;

on a side note, is cross linking crucial in link wheels ?

Edited by Hichem, 31 March 2012 - 08:14 AM.

#8 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

A link wheel is a fairly simple set up. Say you have five Websites: A, B, C, D, E. A links to B, B links to C, C links to D, D links to E, and E links to A. Some people now use link wheels to have all the sites in the wheel link to a "hub" that doesn't link back.

These structures are actually stupid. The people who set them up don't know why they are doing it -- they just follow dumb advice they find on SEO blogs and forums and they think they are getting something past the search engines.

The black hat forums are filled with threads where people complain about having their Websites deindexed or penalized after using these tactics. And of course there are always "old timers" who laugh at them and tell them they don't know how to do it "right", "right" being knowing that you're going to get dumped and you need to be constantly creating new Websites to replace the ones that go down.

Is that really SEO? Nope. It's just a way of life for some people who don't mind spending their time on a treadmill.
  • Jill and OldWelshGuy like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!