• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Uk And Us Rankings

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I live in the UK and have a .com that is hosted in the US.

Its a site about a niche hobby I have and gets around 2000 visitors per month, all these visitors are from the US and US google.

Its a good site with good content and advice and has ranked highly for a few years. I have recently put adsense on their and its pulling me in around £450 per month. The hobby is much more popular in the UK than the US and some term analysis tells me that I could increase traffic levels by around 50% if I could rank in google UK too.

The terms I rank in google.com for that bring the traffic are all on page 1 but these same terms are on page 10 in google UK.

It would be a stupid move to change to UK hosting as the money is coming from the US and there are mor visitors from the US than I would get from the UK but this increase could get another £200 per month for me which would be nice.

Is there a way that I can focus on increasing UK search ranking, I dont want to do full on seo campaigns as I work full time, I was wondering if there is something I can do to tell google that the site is relivent to UK and US traffic without losing either, as the language is the same it would make sense but it somehow wont give me the UK traffic

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,083 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

You can set the preferred region for your Website in Google Webmaster Tools.

#3 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

It would be a stupid move to change to UK hosting as the money is coming from the US

That would be a terrible call, remember I dont want to lose the US traffic but I would like to try to rank in both

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,927 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:53 AM

Perhaps you could add a section specifically for UK users?

#5 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

By the time you read this, I will have ducked well below the Battlements.

What about producing a complete duplication of the site using a .co.uk domain name.
Based on several factors, maybe this could work out OK .

First, Google doesn't penalise duplicate content, it merely filters duplicates out of the results.
Second, these days Google is presenting personalised and Geographically weighted results.

So maybe would it work out that Visitors from USA would be presented with the .com pages in the SERPS as they are now, with little or no change.

Additionally, Visitors from the UK would be presented with the .co.uk pages in the SERPS as their Geo Location would be clearly identified by Google as UK.

Then as time goes by, the two sites could be tuned to their audiences with whatever differences were appropriate.
  • Jill likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!