• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Is Better Seo Practice --- Using "-" Or "_" T

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 patrickd21

patrickd21

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm revising the cluttered URL's on my company's site and I wanted to know what is better practice for google to see the worlds as seperate...if it matters at all.

OPTION #1

unitronic-chipped . com/ecutuning/vw/gti28lmk4.html

OPTION #2

unitronic-chipped . com/ecu-tuning/vw/gti-28l-mk4.html

OPTION #3

unitronic-chipped . com/ecu_tuning/vw/gti_28l_mk4.html

I want the Search engine to see the two words as seperate keywords. Basically I'm asking if I need to use a "-", an "_", or all together, or if it doesn't matter.

Personally, I think that neither makes any difference from what I've read, however I have people telling me one way, another way, and other agreeing with me...so now I'm confused and just want to be sure lol

Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

It generally doesn't matter but for your peace of mind the best choice is probably to use the hyphen (option 2).

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,588 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Not to mention that from a usability standpoint, the underscore tends to get "lost" in the underlining should the URL be displayed on a page where links are underlined. Even if you don't underline links by default, even if you don't display the actual URLs on your site, you never know what others who want to link to you from their sites will do. smile.gif

This isn't necessarily a problem when people are just clicking on these "outside" links, but if they come across a link to your site somewhere else and either print out the page or write down the link for later reference, it could be a problem if they can't easily see those underscores.

Using the hyphen means the separator should be always visible, which may help avoid this sort of error. (And, speaking personally, I find them marginally easier to type, as they don't require the use of the shift key, and easier to parse when reading the URL. That's my personal preference, though, and may or may not carry over to others.)

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#4 kuber

kuber

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:28 AM

Hi,

Underscores should be avoided. A hyphen is still okay if you want to convey that these are 2 separate words to the "visitors". But without hyphen also "Google" will see these 2 words separately.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,795 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

#6 deanaov

deanaov

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Never focus your attention on the url. Search engines only give a little value on that. Search engines give more value to the type of content you're going to create and what techniques you're going to use to circulate the url. Just remember: When creating url extensions, choose to be simple. The shorter it is, the better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!