• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Msnbot Crawling Only Homepage

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

I submitted my sitemap to bing WMtools. Since then msnbot only crawling my homepage. Every day it crawling the home page like 10 or 20 times. Not going into anyother links.

1. I have textlinks.

2. No javascripts.

3. I submitted the sitemap

4. HTML code validated.

5. No block in robots.txt

6. No ips are banned.

I checked almost every other possibility, but still ... Any advice?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Do you have links pointing to deeper parts of your Website that are indexed in Bing? If not, Bing probably doesn't feel your deep content is worth indexing.

Do not rely on link reports from other sources, except to provide you with lists of URLs to look for in Bing's index.

If people do not click on a listing in Bing the search engine is more likely to drop the listing from its index, and therefore its links may not help you with crawling and ranking. Hence, a lot of sites that rely on low-quality links really struggle with Bing.

#3 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:13 PM

Do you have links pointing to deeper parts of your Website that are indexed in Bing?

How could I possibly know this?

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE(hegu @ Mar 14 2012, 11:13 AM) View Post
How could I possibly know this?

Well, when you look at your analytics reports, do you see referring traffic coming from other Websites? If so, where does that traffic land on your site?

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

Uhm.... look to see what pages from your site are indexed in Bing? smile.gif

If the links on your home page point to these pages, then the answer to the question is "yes," and apparently Bing thinks (at least some of) your deeper content is worth indexing. (It would also, I think, tend to indicate they are, in fact, spidering those pages -- or, more accurately, they spidered them at least once, since it's difficult for them to be indexed otherwise.) It may be they simply aren't visiting these pages often because they don't think they're that important, or they've figured out these pages don't change all that often, or maybe there's some other issue.

However, if none of the interior pages linked from your home page are indexed (or, worse yet, none of your interior pages, are indexed, period), then the answer to the question is "no," and it would seem Bing doesn't think (at least some of) your deeper content is worth indexing. Or that there's some technical problem preventing them from spidering/indexing.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#6 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

Both of you lost me ...

I am asking how would I know that what pages are indexed in Bing? (apart from looking into my site analytics)

In google we can do a search like 'site:mysite.com'. It shows all pages indexed in google from that site. Sameway is there any technique for bing?

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

BING supports the site: query operator as well.

#8 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Michael.

Bing has 562 pages from my site. It is almost 85% of my pages. Good to know. But getting very less traffic from bing compared to google.

Any advice there?

I searched bing webmaster tools. But help topics are not as extensive as google though.

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,724 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:44 AM

. Every day it crawling the home page like 10 or 20 times. Not going into anyother links.

Sounds perfectly normal and from that, I deduce that you are only actively promoting the one page.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,724 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

But getting very less traffic from bing compared to google.

And so is getting less traffic compared to Google.

My average is around 70-80% of SE referrals from Google, with Yahoo & Bing (being the same results anyway) making up the rest.

#11 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Sounds perfectly normal and from that, I deduce that you are only actively promoting the one page.

No. I am actively promoting around 12 pages. All are linked from homepage. That is what I don't understand. Why msnbot stopping at homepage though all active pages are linked from homepage. Not even an attemt to go into one of those internal pages.

#12 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:20 PM

There are three main reasons why people get less traffic from Bing than from Google:

• Bing is not used as much as Google
  • Most Webmasters optimize for the wrong keywords in Bing because they only use Google keyword data to set targets
  • Bing is much pickier about which pages to keep in its listings than Google so you generally have less search visibility in Bing

Because of reason number 3 Bing's traffic is probably more evenly (perhaps even more fairly) distributed across a greater number of Websites (proportionate to the size of its index) than Google's traffic. But that's no consolation to people who struggle to get more traffic from Bing and Yahoo!.

One of the secrets to Bing optimization success is to entice people to click on your listings (doing it yourself may just get you banned from Bing). You entice people with good page titles and meta descriptions but Bing's core search audience thinks differently from Google's core search audience so you may have to take that into consideration (this need probably varies by vertical).

Another secret to Bing optimization success is to obtain links from Websites (and pages) that are actually indexed in Bing. Many people assume the low quality links that they believe Google likes will work for Bing. Of course, Google does allow some low quality links to get past its filters but Bing is less likely to index the low quality links to begin with.

#13 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Thanks Michael.

So it comes to the point that Msnbot is more pickier and less energetic than Googlebot. :) (I was thinking that there is some problem with my site that stopping msnbot crawling deep.)

I will keep an eye on my logs for Msnbot activity.

Thanks for your time.

#14 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:02 PM

I wouldn't say it's less energetic. If anything, it seems to be a more aggressive crawler. It's not normal, in my experience, for BingBot to only be looking at the home page of a Website.

Um...you keep saying MSNBot. You ARE seeing BINGBot though, right?

Edited by Michael Martinez, 16 March 2012 - 05:02 PM.

#15 hegu

hegu

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

No I am talking about Msnbot.

msnbot-207-46-193-59.search.msn.com
United States

I am seeing the above with that range of ips.

I haven't seen Bingbot in my logs until now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!