• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Quick Question On Multiple Websites On The Same Server (same Ip)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hiva

hiva

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

Hi everyone,
I just had a quick question that I could not find an answer to anywhere else. I have one server (dedicated server) and I'm hosting a lot of websites on it. Now these sites may or may not be hovering around the same topic. Most of them don't even include links to each other either.
My Question:
Is there any effect on the SEO aspect of any of these websites? I mean since they are all located on the same server with the same IP address, Does Google or Bing penalize me for them?

Thanks,
Hiva

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,022 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Nope, if they did then EVERY page of EVERY site on Wordpress.com would be "penalised"!!
  • hiva likes this

#3 hiva

hiva

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Thank you, I appreciate your response. Now if I'm assuming that if I have a link between them (for back link purposes) it will not count correct?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sure it will count.

#5 hiva

hiva

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

wow, I was under the impression that google and other search engines look at the IP address and if they are the same it will not count it as it could be easy to exploit. I mean, I can create a bunch of websites that link to one website.
What am I missing?

Thanks,
Hiva

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Sure if you did it to a huge extent and also had no other links it would be a problem. But a couple of sites? It's normal and fine. I have lots of sites on my server I link together because it makes sense to do so.

#7 kuber

kuber

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:16 AM

It makes sense to have cross links. However Google's algorithms are such that if you link site A to site B and then another link from site B to site A, Google will count it, but may not heavily honour it as it is a reciprocal link.
Another thing is that in general if you have links from different multiple class C ip addresses then it carries more weight.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

It makes sense to have cross links. However Google's algorithms are such that if you link site A to site B and then another link from site B to site A, Google will count it, but may not heavily honour it as it is a reciprocal link.
Another thing is that in general if you have links from different multiple class C ip addresses then it carries more weight.

All myths.

#9 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Providing the Interlinking is of a like-minded type that may occur naturally, there will be no problem.
The only time sharing an IP will affect interlinking is that Google would spot unnatural mutually contrived links very much faster.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

IP classing hasn't existed since 1993 which was before either of the TWO main search engines came into existence!!!!!!

#11 juicyas

juicyas

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hi there, this is my first post so please bare with me :) Hopefully I'm not hijacking this thread as I thought the topic is similar to what I was querying but if it's too OT could a mod please make it a new topic?

I am about to start some websites all selling the same product but in different countries so it should be the same url but with .ca .com.au etc at the end.

The reason for this is that the people I'm partnering with in each country will be exclusive to the others so I can't just have 1 site with different currencies from a dropdown tab as the income will need to be separate.

My first question I suppose was answered already by the wordpress answer. If I use the same theme, layout etc

What seems to be more tricky is product description. If it's the same word for word is that going to hurt me? Is there a way around this?

The other one (which I'm assuming I have the bad news already) is if I am having articles written for blogs etc, they will all have to be original across each site too? I haven't read so much SEO in the past year but in the past doing a squidoo page (for example) with links to your site was a good way to get a high PR site to link back to your site. If that's still working (I'll obviously check when I get around to that), is it a legitimate tactic to link 2 different sites on the same squidoo?

Thanks heaps in advance!

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

What seems to be more tricky is product description. If it's the same word for word is that going to hurt me? Is there a way around this?

It's not necessarily going to hurt you as you'll be targeting different countries with the different sites. It's likely that Google will try to choose the appropriate site for the corresponding country.

The other one (which I'm assuming I have the bad news already) is if I am having articles written for blogs etc, they will all have to be original across each site too?

Again, not necessarily. Better of course, would be to have different articles that targeted each specific audience, but it might not be a problem to duplicate the articles. Ideally, you'd want each site to at least have some content that was their own, however.

#13 juicyas

juicyas

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

OK cool. I'm aware I can set a major and secondary country to target each site at. Ie it would make sense to have the .ca one appear on .com to gain more sales and the extension being .ca .com.au etc should make it quite obvious which target audience it's appealing to I would have thought :)

The audience can't be too different based on each country when the products are identical I suppose but there might be some subtle ones I haven't thought of yet I suppose.

Thanks for your time taken to reply :)

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

The audience can't be too different based on each country when the products are identical I suppose but there might be some subtle ones I haven't thought of yet I suppose.

Wait, then why do you need more than one site?

#15 juicyas

juicyas

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

Because I'll be partnered with different people in each country so the income will need to be separate. I'm going to be the admin/seo/website person and they will do the packing and sending. There's no other way to do it as far as I can see. I could name all the sites differently and use different themes and designs but it seems like too much work :cry2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!