• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Redirect From Old Ecommerce Site To New Ecommerce Site

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wallaby

Wallaby

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

I have an eCommerce site that was recently moved from one host to another. It was also moved to a completely different shopping cart therefore the structure and URL are different.

The move took place 12 days ago but has not been indexed for the new pages. All searches reveal the old URL which now longer exist so I am getting very little traffic and a lot of 404's.

I don't have access to the old host (hence the move) to create redirects.

I was thinking maybe giving some new pages URL the same as the old database and redirecting to the new page but the old URL also include \item_84\page-url.htm

Any ideas please? I'm open to any and all constructive ideas

thanks

#2 danaditomaso

danaditomaso

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE(Wallaby @ Mar 12 2012, 01:41 PM) View Post
The move took place 12 days ago but has not been indexed for the new pages. All searches reveal the old URL which now longer exist so I am getting very little traffic and a lot of 404's.

Does the old domain redirect to the new domain at all? If so, you can set up 301 redirects for all the old URLs to the new URLs.

#3 Tiggerito

Tiggerito

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

You want to try and 301 redirect every one of those old pages to their equivalent in the new website. This stops those 404, brings back your traffic and helps the search engines update their indexes without too much loss of ranking.

Also, try and find and fix as many of the websites that were linking to your old pages.

The tool in my signature may be of help if you are on an Apache server.

#4 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:13 PM

Depending on the server and what your new hosting company allows, there are several different ways you can redirect the old pages to the new without having access to the old server/hosting account. All you need is to know the URLs of the old pages.

In fact, there are so many ways, we've got an entire section of this forum devoted to the myriad ways you can implement redirects. smile.gif Try checking the pinned threads at the top of our 301 [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?showforum=61]Redirect Forum[/url] for more info. If you still have questions after that, feel free to ask! thumbup1.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#5 Ludachris

Ludachris

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

From what I've learned, the 301 redirects MUST be implemented on all the pages you had on the old site, pointing to your new site pages. When I went to Bruce Clay, he mentioned submitting your old sitemap.xml, that contains your old URL structure, in Webmaster tools after you implement your 301's so that the spiders will pick up all the redirects pointing to your new pages. He said that a lot of people submit their old sitemaps for their new structure but don't resubmit their old ones.

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,717 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Okaaaay, that's some strange kind of twisted logic and frankly has me completely baffled.

It makes absolutely no sense at all, each time you "submit" a site map it is going to override the earlier one, Google already HAVE your "old URIs" in their index to pickup the redirects from, so what's the point of providing a list of new URIs then effectively "saying" but don't index those, index these instead.

I detect the scent of BCBS (and not for the first time either)!

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:43 PM

Moved some off topic posts over to this thread where they better belong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!