Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

 



Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

 



 

 www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!



Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Image Title/alt Tags A Negative?


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbbdc

sbbdc

    HR 1

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I am a photographer and frequently post a lot of images in my blog posts. Is it a negative if I use the same title and alt tags for each image? Is that seen as stuffing? I've been doing this to save some time and still give the images tags, but I don't want to be penalized for this kind of content.

Would it be bad if all of the images looked like this:

title="washington dc wedding" alt="dc wedding photographer"
title="washington dc wedding" alt="dc wedding photographer"
title="washington dc wedding" alt="dc wedding photographer"
title="washington dc wedding" alt="dc wedding photographer"
title="washington dc wedding" alt="dc wedding photographer"
title="washington dc wedding" alt="dc wedding photographer"

Thanks,
Stephen


#2 Jill

Jill

    Recovering SEO

  • Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:43 PM

If the photos were of you (a dc wedding photographer) it would be fine. But I'm guessing they're not.

Your alt attributes are to describe what the photo is.

#3 qwerty

qwerty

    HR 10

  • Moderator
  • 8,627 posts
  • Location:Somerville, MA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

And the title attribute is ignored by search engines. You should only use it when you have some valuable information you want to share with users who hover their mouse over the image.

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

    A not so moderate moderator.

  • Moderator
  • 7,103 posts
  • Location:Blackpool UK

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

http://www.rnib.org....Post.aspx?id=38

#5 qwerty

qwerty

    HR 10

  • Moderator
  • 8,627 posts
  • Location:Somerville, MA

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

That just got bookmarked. Thanks, Chris.

I've been whining about my company's overuse of title attributes on text links (I'm pretty certain we have a title attribute on every text link on every site we run) for as long as I've been here, but nothing's come of it. I've just been saying it's completely superfluous and code bloat. 90% of the time the title is the same as the anchor text. The other 10% is split between a super-useful title like "text link" and dynamic code that's intended to throw something into the attribute, but ends up with just the code to call the message that would go there because the code that would generate the "<" and the ">" isn't parsed correctly. But because my complaints don't indicate anything critical, they're mostly ignored. Other bug fixes get prioritized over it.

But if it's a serious accessibility issue, that's another story.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!
 
If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!