• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Webmaster Tools Avg Postion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:52 PM

Web Tools on Google shows an avg position of a website of 15, but I don't see it even indexing and it is definitely not receiving any traffic for it (An extremely competetive phrase where page 1 would let me retire early) So you can imagine why I am excited and frustrated.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,917 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:34 PM

They don't show an average position for a website. They do it per keyword.

That said, it doesn't really seem very accurate. I usually take GWMT info with a huge grain of salt.

#3 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Keep in mind too that GWM defaults to showing the average over all countries and all Google sites (google.com, .co.uk, .de, etc).

When you say that you don't see it indexed, are you just basing that on a search in one country / site?

#4 kynduvme

kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

I am sorry, that is what I meant. I see avg. position for a keyword phrase now as 9.9 but It is definitely not ranking there. If it were I would be a rich man.

QUOTE(Mikl @ Mar 5 2012, 07:17 AM) View Post
Keep in mind too that GWM defaults to showing the average over all countries and all Google sites (google.com, .co.uk, .de, etc).

When you say that you don't see it indexed, are you just basing that on a search in one country / site?

To answer your question, yes I am only concerned with US traffic for this one.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:16 PM

I think I recently saw something that said Google Webmaster Tools is changing how it reports "Average Position" but I'm not sure where. I believe the article said they will now show you the highest ranking you had for the reporting period (which you can change with the date slider).

Please don't hold me to that as I didn't spend much time reading the article.

#6 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:10 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Mar 9 2012, 02:16 PM) View Post
I think I recently saw something that said Google Webmaster Tools is changing how it reports "Average Position" but I'm not sure where.

Michael, Are you thinking of this article in the Google Webmaster Blog: Update to Top Search Queries data?

If I've understood it correctly, this affects the report of your average position where multiple pages from the same site show up for the same query. Previously, the average would cover the positions of all the pages within the search results. Now, it only covers the positions of the highest-ranking page (for the query in question). At least, that's my understanding.

#7 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,065 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 01:11 PM

Mikl, I think that was the article I read. I'm sure it's confusing a lot of people, since they didn't alter any of the historical data. In another 1-2 weeks that probably won't matter except for people who have been downloading the data continuously. Google Webmaster Tools only reports about 6 weeks' worth of data at a time, updating the reports about once a week, maybe twice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!