• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Using Keywords In Navigation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tinareedjohnson

tinareedjohnson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hi all, I am looking for some feedback on adding keywords to site nav. I believe that top keywords should be in the primary navigation if at all possible, but I'm being told that it doesn't matter as long as they are included in the navigation. Does it really matter if it is in the second tier nav as long as it is prominent throughout the site?

In this case, we built a site based on the most profitable parts of a client's (competitive) business, but they forgot to include something and it doesn't fit within the current nav. I'd have to change the nav bar to a generic keyword to fit this new keyword into the drop down menu, and I want to make sure we aren't shooting ourselves in the foot. This is a WordPress site and we are using a widget for the text nav, but we plan to also add text links under the iframes and have it in the content as well. Thanks much!

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:51 PM

The navigation should use anchor text is that concise and meaningful. Depending on it for search performance is kind of iffy, especially if the keywords don't lend themselves to that kind of navigational use.

That said, the rule of thumb is that the search engine is more likely to give preference to the first link's anchor text. Although many SEOs claim that is always the case, I have seen some rare situations where for whatever reason the first link was ignored or both links passed value. Google's Matt Cutts sort of left a little room for doubt when all but confirming the "first link counts (the most)" hypothesis in a Webmaster video.

It sounds like you're trying to apply band-aid SEO and that usually leaves everyone a little unhappy. I'm not saying DON'T DO THIS -- I'm just suggesting that your compromise, if you try it, may not have a sufficient effect to please everyone.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:22 AM

I wouldn't worry about using keywords in the nav these days. Internal anchor text seems to have a lot less weighting than it used to, imo.

#4 tinareedjohnson

tinareedjohnson

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Feb 28 2012, 06:22 AM)  
I wouldn't worry about using keywords in the nav these days. Internal anchor text seems to have a lot less weighting than it used to, imo.

Thanks so much for your responses, Michael & Jill. I do think it's best to include those popular keywords when you can to increase user response, but am not going to worry about it in this case! ; )

#5 latinsydney

latinsydney

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

SEO question : Using Keywords In Navigation

Which is better for your secondary navigation items using generic words or the keywords that you are targeting. Targeted keyword (Defence Conference).

Should I use Defence or Defence Conference

I don’t want sacrifice usability, for the sake of placing keywords.

see screen shot below left navigation under Conferences,

http://www.informa.c...-navigation.jpg

regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!