• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone Experience A Rankings Drop After Switching To Wordpress?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:49 PM

I realize many things can contribute to a site slipping from say #2 to #10 and that page rank (is dead) and not a magic be-all and end-all so this is just a general overall question.

Has anyone experienced a significant drop in rankings after switching from a static site to a Wordpress site?

I'm asking because this seems to be happening with one of my sites. For many years the site had great rankings for many pages/key phrases as a static site. About 3 years ago it was switched to a Wordpress site and ever since then the rankings have been slowly dropping. I've tried a number of SEO friendly things to reverse this disheartening trend but nothing seems to be working.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall and I'm well past discouraged. There are sites ahead of this one that I've reviewed and found what I know to be blatant SEO tricks including keyword stuffing they rank higher no matter what I do to try to help the site climb back up. I know that ROI is more important, however where a site displays in the results definitely seems to be a contributing factor.

I just read an article dated Feb 9, 2012 that says that the se's are reading www and non-www sites as duplicate domains thus duplicate content and sites that use both may be being penalized. It advocates choosing one rather than allowing both. I thought this was pretty much dead in the water some time ago and no longer held any value. If this article is providing valid information, this means a WHOLE lot of work for bazillions of people to have to switch if their servers are displaying domains both ways. I feel stupid even asking about this but I can't ignore it if it's once again valid info which just doesn't seem possible to me.

It probably sounds strange to wonder if Wordpress is the bottom line issue but when I do a view source and see all that code generated in the header above the content and no reasonable way to change that, I just have to wonder if Wordpress isn't at least part of the problem and perhaps the biggest culprit of all so I'm doing a little bit of covering all the bases with my question.

Thanks for your input.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

I switched from static to Wordpress last year and recovered from a Google Panda downgrade. Wordpress is naturally search-friendly and is highly optimized coming out of the box.

Static versus CMS is really a non-issue, anyway. You can screw up a Website with either static or CMS pages. You can also see a temporary dip in performance if you change page URLs.

There could be all sorts of explanations for whatever you're seeing.

#3 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ Feb 21 2012, 12:47 AM) View Post
Wordpress is naturally search-friendly and is highly optimized coming out of the box.

Static versus CMS is really a non-issue, anyway. You can screw up a Website with either static or CMS pages. You can also see a temporary dip in performance if you change page URLs. There could be all sorts of explanations for whatever you're seeing.

Yes, I do know this -- I am just at a loss after everything I've tried and the site still keeps slowly dropping. I didn't really think WP would be a contributing factor but I'm trying to think of anything & everything that might be so thanks for your input.

This is so depressing, so much work and nothing seems to help.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

There are tons of reasons why switching your site to WP could have caused the rankings to drop. Most likely you switched around the site architecture and the URLs, which would change lots and force Google to recalculate things.

As to this:

I just read an article dated Feb 9, 2012 that says that the se's are reading www and non-www sites as duplicate domains thus duplicate content and sites that use both may be being penalized. It advocates choosing one rather than allowing both. I thought this was pretty much dead in the water some time ago and no longer held any value.

That would have zero to do with your problem.

#5 designbug

designbug

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

(Jill @ Feb 21 2012, 11:45 AM) View Post
There are tons of reasons why switching your site to WP could have caused the rankings to drop. Most likely you switched around the site architecture and the URLs, which would change lots and force Google to recalculate things.

As to this:

That would have zero to do with your problem.

I used 301's to redirect the main pages but that was like 3 years ago. They've certainly had time to recalculate by now I would think.

I really didn't think it would, but just wanted to be absolutely sure. The article I read is going to send a lot of people scrambling to change things, sheesh.

I'll just have to keep trying.

#6 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

I just read an article dated Feb 9, 2012 that says that the se's are reading www and non-www sites as duplicate domains thus duplicate content and sites that use both may be being penalized. It advocates choosing one rather than allowing both. I thought this was pretty much dead in the water some time ago and no longer held any value. If this article is providing valid information, this means a WHOLE lot of work for bazillions of people to have to switch if their servers are displaying domains both ways. I feel stupid even asking about this but I can't ignore it if it's once again valid info which just doesn't seem possible to me.

Where was this article? It's bunk information. I was just reading a current thread here in the forum on that very topic. Here are the 2 I could dig up quickly, but they may be all you need.

Canonical Seo Linking Question

Preferred Domain In Google

#7 Jadee77

Jadee77

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:56 AM

Just adding my two cents. I usually see the opposite. The sites that we've moved to Wordpress do very well and always increase in rank. It tends to be a pretty search engine friendly program if used correctly. Also, Wordpress has a great 301 redirect plugin if you have not found that already.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!