• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Opening A Branch Office - Shooting My Seo In The Foot?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 skipj

skipj

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:44 PM

I have a client who has a 2 year old website with good/fair SEO juice and excellent Adwords keyword quality score juice. The site advertises his New York City business. The domain has www.xxxxxxNYC.com in it. The website copy focuses on his NYC location.

He wants to open a branch office in Connecticut but wants to appear as a stand alone Connecticut business with a separate website that does not mention the NYC home office. I know that duplicating the older website product/services page copy on a new site is a bad thing and is likely to be penalized by the SE's for duplicating another website's copy.

What's the right way to do this?

Is it to duplicate the site but rewrite the copy and the alt-text tags for the many many product photos that he has, so that the copy appears to the SE's as not duplicated from another site? Somehow I think there must be a better way.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

Is it to duplicate the site but rewrite the copy and the alt-text tags for the many many product photos that he has, so that the copy appears to the SE's as not duplicated from another site?

I would suggest simply treating it as a new site and forgetting you have the other site. Hire a professional copywriter to do their thing and you'll have a completely different site.

#3 skipj

skipj

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:09 PM

Thanks Jill, I thought so but wanted to make sure....

#4 jehochman

jehochman

Jonathan Hochman

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

You can copy the existing site code and just drop in the new content. No point in spending effort on a new design.

#5 skipj

skipj

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 06:01 PM

Righty-o
Thanks, Jonathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!