• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Link To Shopping Site Sub Domain, Or Pointed Url

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zweetpeaz

zweetpeaz

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:52 AM

I help several people to optimize their Etsy shops. Using keywords to rank in google and in the etsy search itself.
When you open a shop on etsy, your domain becomes myshop.etsy.com which is a subdomain of etsy. some folks don't like to advertise this, so they buy their own url myshop. com and have it pointed to their etsy shop.
When building backlinks to the etsy shop, is it better to use the full myshop.etsy.com address, or the pretty pointed url myshop.com?

Is it advantageous to take that url, and build a static site that has links to myshop.etsy.com, or not?
I think that it would be helpful, but then when you give a customer ( or build a link) to myshop.com there are additional steps (clicking on the shop now button) before you actually get to the good stuff.

Any advice or direction is appreciated

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

You should promote the same domain that they promote, although the search engines may choose to just list the sub-domain anyway.

#3 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yes MM, I think you're right, they would just choose to list the Sub-domain

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,063 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Just so I'm clear to everyone, I say you should promote whichever URL the client promotes so that you don't split the PageRank (not the Toolbar stuff, the internal PageRank) between two competing URLs. That would confuse the search engines.

If the client wants to promote ONLY the redirecting domain, then you should promote that as well. The search engine may choose to show only the sub-domain, but they should allow the PageRank to flow through the redirect (assuming it is properly implemented) to the sub-domain.

Of course, if the search engine only shows the sub-domain, then new natural links may end up pointing to the sub-domain anyway.

Really, this is a sub-optimal practice and clients should (in my opinion) be dissuaded from doing it. There is nothing wrong with using a sub-domain on Etsy for a specialty retail site.

#5 zweetpeaz

zweetpeaz

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

Thank you. That is the info I was looking to have validated.

#6 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

Maybe you could iframe the etsy page as a workaround?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!