• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

To Separate Or Not To Separate(keyword)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DOLwm

DOLwm

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:33 AM

Hello I have a simple question as I am rather new to SEO.

I am working on a website
From Google Analytics I get about 10000 search visits a month for examplesite.com (one word) and 5000 for example site (phrase)

If I understand correctly, since examplesite.com is not equal to example site, what I choose to be in my webpage content(keyword) is based on whether I would like to continue the branding(examplesite.com) or optimize better for individual words like example site

Would there be any substantial impact if I were to choose one over the other assuming I want to BOTH continue the branding and also optimize for the keywords like example and site?

I would think that continuing examplesite.com would be better rather then breaking it up. Thoughts?

I would also like to thank in advance for any help provided!

Warmest Regards

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

Searches for a domain name indicate brand value. You don't have to optimize for the domain name in your content if you're seeing that kind of traffic. You should devote your efforts to helping less powerful keywords.

#3 DOLwm

DOLwm

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:04 PM

The main reason I thought of doing so was because:

**Example WEBSITE: www.catsdogs.com**

Someone searching for the domain name, catsdogs(example domain name) might result in our website showing in the top few results due to the brand value. However if one searches individually for cats or dogs, it might mean he does not know about the brand and searching just to find results on cats or dogs. That was why I thought of separating the cats from dogs in the content so that when users search individual keywords(cats or dogs), our website might still show.

So it is not so much as optimizing for only the domain name but the different words users might search individually from the domain name if they have no knowledge of the brand value(cats or dogs instead of only catsdogs).

Likewise I was thinking for the users who do not know yet of our brand, but search the word from our domain individually. Would having more cats and dogs in the content be better? Or should we continue using catsdogs instead. Would there be a substantial change(positive or negative) if we do so?

Is there a bigger impact where cats or dogs would show catsdogs or if catsdogs would show cats or dogs?

Thanks so much for the reply and again for all the help! I do apologize if this is a little confusing.

Warmest Regards

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,145 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:48 PM

So now it sounds like you bought an exact-match domain, in which case the generic searches are not brand searches but just generic keyword searches (usually not very productive).

A brand query is clearly looking for the specific provider of products, services, or information associated with whatever items are referenced in the query. That might be something like "Amazon books", "Wal-mart store", "nike shoes", "UN UNESCO", "United States Government", "Highrankings Forum", etc.

If people are already searching for "cats and dogs" and you buy an EMD such as "catsanddogs.com", then people searching for "cats and dogs" are still only searching on generic keywords. People searching on "catsanddogs.com" MAY be searching for your brand but it's hard to say since you bought an EMD -- people may only be trying to find out if there is a domain name that matches the query.

If's best to avoid buying exact match domain names. You can build brand value in any domain name and the more distinctive it is the easier it will be for people to remember it and associate it with the specific value you create.

Now, forgetting the domain name for the rest of this discussion, let's focus on establishing relevance to keywords.

Word order and proximity (to each other) DO matter, but you are not REQUIRED to use the exact expression in every use of the keywords.

Hence, any Web page that speaks about "dogs and cats" is also relevant to "cats and dogs", even though algorithmically (all other things being equal) preference *MAY* be given to a page that uses "cats and dogs" rather than "dogs and cats".

I think you're trying too hard to create content for the search engine and not hard enough to create content for the users.
  • gregorysmith likes this

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,984 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:30 PM

What Michael said. appl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,