• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Rel=author For Product Pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:26 PM

I can see the worthwhile in using rel=author for blog posts, articles, news etc, but I can also imagine that it might be useful for product pages on ecommerce sites, too. I just think it might look a bit unusual to see an author in SERPs for a product page.

From a search engine user perspective, if you were to see an author's pic and details next to the SERP for a product page, what might you think? I wonder if seeing something like that would implicitly suggest to a user that the linked-to page isn't a 'buying' page (eg, it's a review)? On the other hand, if product pages were linked to their respective sales or channel manager, could that enhance the level of trust?

I have no opinion either way, but I was curious about what some of you think about such a tactic.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,916 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

If the site is basically just one person (like mine for instance) then sure, why not. But if it's a company with lots of employees it might seem a bit odd and not make sense.

#3 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:11 PM

Fair enough. I think it would be interesting to try out... If only to satisfy my curiosity and theory that it might have a trust benefit.

#4 diywebmastery

diywebmastery

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE(jsp1983 @ Feb 13 2012, 06:11 PM) View Post
Fair enough. I think it would be interesting to try out... If only to satisfy my curiosity and theory that it might have a trust benefit.

Wouldn't you use rel=publisher on product pages - so that your logo could show up instead. That might make sense. The way we've been doing it, (but then we are not in e-commerce), is to set up posts as rel=author to show author faces, but rel=publisher for the home page to show a logo - also useful for category and tag pages (in WordPress) where many authors could be listed - so a publisher logo is more appropriate.

Liz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!