• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Do Mis$pellings Help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SimoninFlorence

SimoninFlorence

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:54 PM

HI, Just joined the forum and done the required reading (I think).

I am in Italy and searched for a common enough phrase here "Buon appetito" using google. Imagine my surprise when first up came a site in wales (removed). . Well, stranger things have happened, but then I took a look at the code and found that not only was the Title misspelled - Boun instead of Buon- but also the Meta description and keywords contained the same error. They have misspelled the name of their own business, which also happens to be in their domain name yet still come out on top. What can be learnt from this? Should I be looking for a dyslexic SEO professional?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,615 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:05 PM

I tried running the search from the US, and it didn't come up in the first 100 results. I even tried a search on inurl:buonappetito. I got a Swedish site around number 15, but nothing in Wales.

One thing I can tell you is that the meta description and keyword tags aren't contributing to the site's ranking, and Google has been correcting/clarifying/changing what used to contain nothing but a page's title tag on their SERPs lately. Is the link within Google's results spelled the way it's spelled on the page's title tag, or did Google edit it?

But it's certainly odd that someone in Italy, searching (I assume) on google.it for a common Italian phrase, would see a site from another country (where a different language is spoken) anywhere near the top of the results.

Was this a public or private computer you were using? Were you logged into a Google account when you ran the search? The only thing I can think of is that someone has been to that site before, either on that computer, with that account, or both, or someone associated with the owner of that account recommended the site on Google+.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!