• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Retargeting Test..looking For Thoughts & Feedback

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DJKay

DJKay

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 02:25 PM

Hi Gang,

Happy Superbowl weekend! We all here in New England are thrilled. Its going to be a great game..but that is not why I am posting.

I am doing a remarketing test using Google Adwords remarketing with our event products. I started there thinking the price point was sufficient to get a descent ROI [atleast, here is hoping]. I have seen SEW & SMX try it and thought we should test it too.

On our event sites, in general, we have two types of conversions, one micro [download a brochure] one macro [register for an event]. I put the retargeting script on every page of each web site. I am testing three verticals to start. Everything is tagged appropriately and using advanced segments, over the last few days, one of the verticals experience 8 brochure downloads. The problem with this vertical is that its running through cash like crazy. I have used dayparting and put in some topical keywords to slow it down some. Your suppose to disable the keywords and just let it run so it serves on every site. I have two text ads with the different messaging and then two sets of display ads for each vertical reflecting the messaging at all 9 sizes. The average positions are running from 1.5 to 2.7.

I am also testing two different messaging types across the text and display networks - I have one that looks like the obvious winner but I have not run the results through a statistical confidence calculator yet. The other two verticals are running, one is getting okay results[I mean micro conversions] with a reasonable run rate of cash. The other is just kind of slow and have had very few click-throughs.

I have a meeting next week to report preliminary results next Tuesday [wanted to do it Monday but many are taking it off because of the Superbowl]. So my thoughts are as follows:

1) If we have a winner on the messaging, we will kill the other. Next, I think I am just going to pause the two text ads I have and just have it run on display.

2) I am going to see if I can get the events people to give me a special promotion. I would love to be able to put the retargeting script on just the registration funnel pages but the problem with that is that they are actually generated off our 3rd party generated secure server and since the display url and the destination url need to be on the same web site so it won't work.

3) the only way I would be able to put a separate retargeting script on say a registration funnel page is if we used a vanity url and had it redirect to the reg page. Problem with this is that its very hard to get IT support and it means extra programming

The thing is..I know that the micro conversions may convert. Many times people download a brochure and then call and register, I have done it many times myself for events.

Any thoughts/feedback appreciated. And of course, GO PATS!

Thanks, DJKay

#2 PerfectAudience

PerfectAudience

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

It sounds like you're doing all the right things and asking the right questions to find your ROI. Placing tags on your site to create a profitable retargeting campaign can feel a bit like an art rather than a science.

What's your thought on text vs. display as far as performance goes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!