• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Facebook, Twitter, Google+ Or Blog?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LisaWeb

LisaWeb

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:46 AM

Hi all,

Getting ready to launch a new business along with a new website, but not sure which avenue of social media I should give priority to. It's an ecommerce site selling products B2B in a niche telecom market.

I plan to post mostly about new product offerings, special pricing, and discount offers, along with some industry news here and there. However, until business gets rolling, I will be wearing many hats and will have limited time to devote to social media. Based on this, which social media service would you advise I primarily focus on? And how would you advise I prioritize them? And say I am running a special, is it okay to cross post the same offer across all sites?

Thanks for any advice you can offer. :-)

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:58 PM

I would build the blog first and then think about how to create value within the social media services without sacrificing the value you create on the blog.

#3 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,715 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

For a business to business site, "social media" is not going to be especially effective, but as michael says, have something worthwhile to offer before trying to offer it.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'd say that you're going to have to research where your target audience participates. If they're on Twitter, then you need to be there. If they're on FB, then there, etc.

No way for us to know as every industry is different.

QUOTE(Chrishirst)
For a business to business site, "social media" is not going to be especially effective, but as michael says, have something worthwhile to offer before trying to offer it.

My business is B2B and social media is effective for me.

It's key to note that social media may or may not lead to a direct sale, but it's a way for people to get to know about you and potentially have a further discussion.

This article might help:

Ending the Social Media Confusion

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,715 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

My business is B2B and social media is effective for me.

Yeah but your business is about marketing and people in marketing or looking for marketers are likely to be hanging out at social media sites.

A plant hire company probably won't have much luck with a "facebook page".

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Feb 4 2012, 09:29 AM) View Post
Yeah but your business is about marketing and people in marketing or looking for marketers are likely to be hanging out at social media sites.

A plant hire company probably won't have much luck with a "facebook page".

Well, that's why I said it depends on what your business is and where your audience is participating. It's silly to dismiss Facebook or any social media platform out of hand just because you might *think* your audience isn't there. Go look and see.

@LisaWeb, my friend Dianna Huff writes about B2B marketing and has a lot of great ideas as far as how B2B companies can use social media which you may find helpful.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Little late to the party (it's been busy at work). I'm also in a B2B niche. From what I've read, many B2B companies are having some success with lead generation through LinkedIn. Being a more "professional/business" oriented site seems to work in its favor. If it appears your prospects -- or people you'd like to attract as prospects -- are there, it might be something to look into.

As Jill says, there's not really any one "best" social media site. The best strategy is simply to be where your audience is. disco.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!