• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Site Review: Stayin The North York Moors

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

Our Website: www.northyorkmoors-stay.co.uk

General
Is this site completed or under construction?

Completed, but always a working progress as we try to make the site better smile.gif

If completed:
How long has the site been up?

The site in its current design about 20 months, however including the previous design (on the same url) 6 years.

SEO
Do you have incoming links?

Yes, we have quite a large portfolio of inbound links dating back from when we originally launched 6 years ago all the way through to the present day.

What keywords are you targeting?

Our site sells accommodation. Hotels, Cottages, Log Cabins etc. customers pay for a listing on the site and in turn we send them clicks to their website or enquires direct via email and telephone.

The area we cover is the North York Moors National Park in North Yorkshire, the Yorkshire Coast & the areas surrounding this.

Hence we target:

North York Moors Cottages, North York Moors Accommodation...etc.

North Yorkshire Cottages, North Yorkshire Self Catering...etc.

Yorkshire Cottages, Yorkshire Hotels...etc.

basically all variations of different types of holiday accommodation in our area.

Do you want your code reviewed for errors or improvements?

Either!

Marketing
Who is your target audience? Think about:
Age Range
Income/Education level
Likes/Dislikes

Our target audience is anyone who is looking to go on a holiday in North Yorkshire, England. In reality this is probably anybody aged over 25 up to 80. It will include a majority of English people, however the area does get tourism from a whole host of countries including USA, Netherlands, Germany, China..

Why is your site different from sites selling/offering similar info/goods/services? Why will someone want to do business you?

Our site is different because of its niche, our customers like us because we focus on a specific area. Many of our customers feel like they are lost amongst 1000s of other properties if they advertise with a big player who covers the whole of the UK or even the world. We are also a small family company and if somebody phones up they will speak directly to me or my dad. We will always resolve any problems quickly, return phone calls and emails fast and offer advice and help where we can. This helps us stand out against our competitors too.

How important is usability?

Usability is very important so that users of any age or IT skill level can easily navigate the site and find accommodation they like, then get in touch with the owner.

What is the purpose of the site? (inform, sell, online community, support B&M business, contact info only, etc)

The purpose is take potential holiday makers and match them up with an accommodation owners which results in them booking a stay with one of our clients.

Design
Do you want design suggestions?

Yes sure, particularly our main navigation.

Of course we are also very interested in any SEO suggestions.

#2 kashyap_rajput

kashyap_rajput

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:24 AM

Well you have done great job, some of my personal suggestions

1. on main navigation drop down, the green color links try to make it little darker it seems blending with grey background
2. In advance search segment, the image Accommodation image seems lower compressed so can see bit quality loss here
3. footer blue patch, I think you still working as it looks empty

Overall you have done good work on content and url structure I think

Thank you
regards

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:39 PM

I notice you are using "rel='nofollow'" on outbound links OTHER than your (apparent) affiliate links. This is a counter-productive strategy. You should link freely and openly to well-established business sites if you're going to link to them at all. Do for the search engines what you are doing for your visitors.

You are using a mixture of fully-resolved, absolute URLs and relevant URLs for your internal navigation. You should use one style or the other but you should not mix the styles together. I prefer to use fully-resolved, absolute URLs (they begin with "HTTP").

You are stuffing your page titles with multiple variations on your desired keyword expressions. This is counter-productive. Each page title should focus on one specific 5-10 word expression. You can emphasize alternative expressions in the page copy through judicious use of Hx elements, paragraphs of text, and internal links.

Your masthead includes an image for which there is no ALT= text. Search engines cannot read the text embedded in the image. Nor can screen readers used by people with disabilities.

Do you have a mobile version of your site? If not, you should consider creating one.

#4 SimoninFlorence

SimoninFlorence

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Sorry that I'm no SEO expert but maybe I can give you 'first impressions' of your site.

-Nice 'clean' design. Love the little logo.
-well laid out, but it does feel a little busy. Are all the ad's really necessary? You've finally go the punters to your site, is it really such a goos idea to let them click away?
-some of the copy makes it seem like you are an ex- estate agent eg The Old Methodist Chapel is superb and unique holiday cottage lovingly converted from an old chapel .
-get rid of any photo with a tv in it.
-put every photo thru photoshop. You are trying to sell here.
-make the site a little more personal -it's all a bit faceless right now. Who are you? Why did you start this business? Why are you continuing? etc

Having written all that, the site is not bad, just IMO could really be better. What's the point in great SEO if you don't convert them into customers?

Good luck!

#5 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:42 AM

Hi Guys,

thank you for your reviews. All very useful, comments taken onboard and some will be implemented. Any more reviews welcome.

thank you.

Shimlad

#6 TheGreatHefin

TheGreatHefin

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:41 AM

Hi Some of My Suggestions,

1) The Search Accommodation by font does not look good it looks like it has sharp edges...try changing the font to Verdana or similar
2) The home page image which has the beach image and boats...keep it like a slider...use some Jquerry slider scripts you will find one free..
3) The Images on the Left side which say 50 low deposit etc...the content is not visible try changing the color of the Text on the image..
4) At the bottom the content looks too empty..try filling out the space with some more images and offers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!