• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is It Doorway Page?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Santosh

Santosh

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 03:07 AM

If I create a page to optimize some keywords but no direct links to reach there (orphan page) but I am not redirecting the user's on some other page after landing on that page.Is it a doorway Page or not?

#2 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,628 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

Why won't you link to the page? I think the answer to that question is going to indicate whether it would be a doorway page.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:49 AM

It's an orphaned page, as you stated. It's only a doorway page if it's meant to be there only for SEO purposes. The irony, of course is that with no links to it, it would be useless for SEO.

Many use those types of pages as PPC landing pages, which is fine.

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:05 PM

An orphaned page that is also a Cul-de-sac.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

A doorway page's purpose is to bring the user in and get that person to another destination. The doorway is never the destination.

Just because a page is orphaned doesn't mean it's a doorway.

However, another abuse for orphaned pages is to create PageRank traps. These are orphaned pages that use the same template as the rest of the site, so they have all the standard navigation links to the rest of the site. But the site doesn't link to them. Instead, the marketer asks other sites to link to the orphaned page, thus drawing in PageRank that is channeled to the rest of the site. The site's visitors never see the orphaned page unless they find it in a search.

While this is technically not a violation of search engine guidelines I feel it is a dishonest practice as it misleads site owners into believing that they are linking to good Websites which are, in fact, simply employing a deceptive marketing tactic for the sake of accumulating PageRank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!