• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Choosing Location For Keywords?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

When it comes to "local" advertising on Google so Google Local, on the topic of "location", I am not understanding fully when it comes to keywords. For example, I live in in the city of South ozone park in the county of Queens in the State of New York. If someone in my area has to type a search for something locally, I am guessing they would use the location in the keyword phrase "Queens" if they don't wish to go outside of their county or wish to see what's available in their county first.

Now, I am finding out SEO people charge per keyword so if as a local business owner I had to choose one location as my keyword, which would be best here, South Ozone Park, Queens or New York keeping in mind that I would like to target the ENTIRE New York State?

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(mikehende @ Dec 14 2011, 02:32 PM) View Post
When it comes to "local" advertising on Google so Google Local, on the topic of "location", I am not understanding fully when it comes to keywords. For example, I live in in the city of South ozone park in the county of Queens in the State of New York. If someone in my area has to type a search for something locally, I am guessing they would use the location in the keyword phrase "Queens" if they don't wish to go outside of their county or wish to see what's available in their county first.

Local search has been re-engineered to take your physical location into consideration (based on your IP address and/or your search preferences if you have set them) so that you don't have to include the name of the town/city where you are searching.

Appending the community name overrides the search engine's default assumption. You may or may not be shown local listings from their business directories.

Now, I am finding out SEO people charge per keyword so if as a local business owner I had to choose one location as my keyword, which would be best here, South Ozone Park, Queens or New York keeping in mind that I would like to target the ENTIRE New York State?

I would want to look at comparative bids that estimate how much the local and qualified keywords get and the sources of information for that traffic. I am sure the traffic varies by location. I would also want to look at the competitive picture (e.g., how many companies are trying to get local listings, how many have constructed Web pages that are relevant to the community for those keywords, etc.).

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

I'd be concerned with any SEO who is charging per keyword.
  • Mastersquidwardo likes this

#4 mikehende

mikehende

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Well, if a Google local SEO person is charging me per keyword then that person won't give me that info, what I am being told is that I don't have to target any particular location because just as you are saying when a person types something in google they will automatically be shown the most immediate local listing first, this is what you are saying too correct? If yes then what's the best keywords you would use to target people who are not in your immediate vicinity please? Let's say as I am in Queens and wish to target people in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Long Island as an example?

Unfortunately, all google local SEO people who have contacted me here and who are local to NY charge per keyword but the google global SEO folks offer unlimited keywords so I have never understood the reasoning for that

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

At Visible T. we charged per keyword for search reputation management. Traditional SEO was billed by the hour or according to monthly retainers. However, we put out a few proposals for SEO-by-keyword. I don't think anything came of those proposals. It was an attempt to blend the two business models.

Visible no longer offers SEO or search reputation management services.

#6 WilliamO

WilliamO

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

First of hello I live on Long island and spend my time between the Shinnecock reservation on the east end and Commack where I own a home. Send me a PM and I'll tell you how you show up from Commack which is 30 miles from Queens. Getting a company to rank higher locally is by far easier then to reach clients say nationwide or global.
Google in particular automatically propagates locale highly. They almost always know right where the search user is sitting and as you can easily see, they consider stores with a web presence in the area more relevant by default. It doesn't really matter what kind of "schmatzas" your selling as long as that shmatza is typed in to the search bar locality is important in Google search by default.
Yelp went public Friday and the stock soared. Whats their schtick? "Local" do you have a Yelp account? If you don't get one, and get a Google places page and a Bing business portal account, don't forget setting up a Patch account also. Be honest with the info you put in these pages, they will be cross referenced.
I'm not suggesting a mass directory submit. Those should be done manually and set up properly. Name, address, and phone # should be identical on them all.

I'm with Jill on avoiding anyone who charges per keyword. However, if the SEO company is charging a percentage of the cost of insertion into a Google or Bing Adcenter campaign that's a little different as long as your sure they are refining it so that your keyword or key phrase is actually relevant to the searcher. Having 1000 people going to your site looking for Blue shoes when all you have is Black shoes is a waste of money. So if your paying per keyword and click be careful the only one who has anything to gain by a Blue shoe click is your SEO who gets paid for the search "shoes"
Sorry that was a little long winded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!