• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Content Rankings Switch

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 computech

computech

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:02 AM

I own and operate the company Computech that specializes in racing electronics. Originally computech.com was unavialable so we purchased computechracing.com. We built this site up with a zen cart, forum and support section. I took special care to make sure the entire thing was built with SEO in mind. We were doing pretty good in rankings and links and then I was able to obtain computech.com. So I purchased computech.com, pretty much copied the entire computechracing.com site and put it into computech.com. I couldn't completely destroy computechracing because there were good google rankings and links so I have been operating two identical sites, except that the computechracing site always links back to computech.com through menu items, internal links and redirects.

Over time computech.com became the hands down leader in google key word rankings and computechracing.com became nearly obsolete. But, when google made a change to their PANDA algorithm on Nov 29 my computech.com rankings plummeted. Where I was ranked 1st or 2nd, I now ranked on second or third page and sometimes not at all. Then I realized that for some reason, all of my good rankings had basically switched over to computechracing.com???

I have no idea how this happened, but my main site I want traffic directed to is computech.com, and ultimately I wish to simply redirect the entire computechracing.com domain name to computech.com. But now that it is the holiday season and prime buying time, I can't afford to do anything to negatively effect my google keyword rankings and thus my profit.

So my questions are:

1. Why did my keyword rankings transfer from computech.com to computechracing.com? (I'd like to learn why this happened)
2. How can I get these rankings back to computech.com?
3. What do you recommend to do in this circumstance, where I have lots of external links to computechracing.com yet want all traffic to go to computech.com?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

You should have (and still should) 301 redirect the first domain to the newer one and all will be well.

#3 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(computech @ Dec 11 2011, 10:02 AM) View Post
I have no idea how this happened, but my main site I want traffic directed to is computech.com, and ultimately I wish to simply redirect the entire computechracing.com domain name to computech.com. But now that it is the holiday season and prime buying time, I can't afford to do anything to negatively effect my google keyword rankings and thus my profit.

So my questions are:

1. Why did my keyword rankings transfer from computech.com to computechracing.com? (I'd like to learn why this happened)
2. How can I get these rankings back to computech.com?
3. What do you recommend to do in this circumstance, where I have lots of external links to computechracing.com yet want all traffic to go to computech.com?

1. google has realised the sites are owned and operated by the same person, are pretty much (by your own admission identical), and has shown the one that is more important.

2. you need to do a 301 redirect match, to redirect the pages from the racing.com site, to the computech.com site. by doing a redirect match you will transfer on a page by page basis, rather than sending all the old domain pages to your homepage. But don't attack his on your own, you need to research it properly. redirect match is for LAMP servers, if you are using Widows, then you will need to use ISAPI mod rewrite to achieve the same.

3. By using redirect match (as recommended above), you will transfer links from the racing.com pages to the computech.com pages on a page by page basis, which will prevent the link juice from being lost, and will send it into the structure of the site at the same point of entry as previously, thereby minimising the upset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!