• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Links To Landing Pages

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bryony

Bryony

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:16 AM

I am a bit new to this and am getting very confused by mixed advice.

I launched my site several months ago. I have someone creating links to my 'Home Page' but this page is mainly a picture with a brief introduction to the site. - Not much text or use of keywords. However, for one of my keywords I am now ranked 17th on Google UK but not nearly so well for the others.

Somehow, I was led to believe that 'Landing pages' (with lots of text containing keywords) were the thing to do, one page for each of my targeted keywords. These have now been done and I am very happy with them.

However, the person doing the link building says - "It's good to build some links to other pages, but I have never targeted SEO for 3 pages of the same website and wouldn't do it myself".

I would really welcome any advice.

Thanks for the Great website

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:55 AM

However, the person doing the link building says - "It's good to build some links to other pages, but I have never targeted SEO for 3 pages of the same website and wouldn't do it myself".
Whoever said is talking out of their rectal orifice.

You should promote (build links) for EVERY page you want to drive visitors to. You want visitors to arrive on the most relevant page for their needs OR the page that gets YOU a good "deal"

Does the car salesman show you the front window of their showroom when you go looking for a new RV? No, of course not, he takes you to the one that pays the best commission.

If you are promoting and selling a particular model of NEFF dishwasher because you get a higher percentage per sale on that one, why would you send visitors to the "home" page which may feature dozens of appliances? Nope you want them on the page that tells them THIS is what they have been missing in their life for years. And, if you are smart about it, when that deal is finished, you rewrite the page with another "deal of the day" so you don't waste that direct traffic you have built up.

Don't mistake the idiot "link builders" with real marketers and "SEOers", they still think it is 1999 and all you need is thousands of "home" page links with "you most impotant keywrods" and riches beyond the dreams of avarice will follow.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Somehow, I was led to believe that 'Landing pages' (with lots of text containing keywords) were the thing to do, one page for each of my targeted keywords. These have now been done and I am very happy with them.

I hope you weren't talked into "doorway pages."

Are your landing pages integrated into your site? In other words, can they easily be found when clicking from the global navigation? If so, then they're just regular pages of your site. They'll get link popularity from how you link to them within the site. You maybe able to get links to them from outside sources, if they contain general information that other sites might find useful for their visitors. But if they're just specific to your site, it's likely they won't garner outside links.

If those landing pages are in reality just doorway pages that are not linked to from the rest of your site, then you might as well just trash them now. It's a 1990's idea that hasn't worked for quite some time.

What most people are doing these days is creating their website with lots of information about their products and services, and in addition, adding a blog of some sort where they can then provide more general information on related topics that they have some expertise with. Those types of posts then can be promoted through social media outlets to targeted people who would be interested in the information. Very often, if the content is excellent, your target audience will share it with their own audience, and that's how you can social media mentions as well as links.

The key here, as you can probably tell is that you need exceptional content. Not keyword stuffed content. Exceptional content.

Hope this helps!

#4 Bryony

Bryony

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

Hi Jill and Chris,

Thanks for your words of wisdom.

I would say they are 'Doorway pages' although not totally hidden!!! girl_cray2.gif However, I have a wordpress site, so I have moved them into my main navigation menu, so now they are just regular pages with good info and a bit more!

I think they might be quite good as Google PPC landing pages and I'm sure some links to them will be fine..

Thank you

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

I'm not sure even adding them to the navigation is good enough if they were only designed to be doorway pages. You might want to beef up the content, make them a little more robust.

I have always advocated thinking of every page on your site as a doorway into your site, but classic doorway-based strategies are a high-risk tactic and the search engines know doorway pages when they see them.

If you convert the pages to PPC landing pages some people (including me) recommend blocking the crawlers from them so your analytics are clean. Otherwise you have to use tracking codes to see where the traffic comes from.

#6 Bryony

Bryony

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Hi Michael,

I don't really think they are 'Doorway pages' in the way you think. I'll post a URL and if you have time to look, I'd really appreciate it. www.relaxingyogaholidays.co.uk/yoga-holidays-2/

I can easily block the crawlers using the Wordpress SEO plugin (from Yoast) but I think that would defeat their purpose. They have a lot of good content with keyword density of about 3%.

Thank you so much for your help. notworthy.gif

#7 train99

train99

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:32 AM

I looked at the page you posted. Italicizing the keyword phrase doesn't help you, and makes the page seem like it was written just so you could use that phrase over and over again. It reads like that too.

Read the page out loud and if it sounds weird or cumbersome, change it.

Your goal should be to provide the information the title promises to the visitor. Not to get a certain percentage of keyword phrases. Also with keywords, it's nice to use them in the string your targeting, but they don't have to be adjacent in every instance.

Another thing to consider when you are fixing up your pages is synonyms. I don't know about UK usage, but here in the states we'd say holiday or vacation. Synonyms increase readability, and for lots of them, the search engines understand enough. I use the more desirable words in my title tag, my page url, and in the h1 tag that is the on-page title. Then I use it in the first paragraph and just use the words as needed in the rest of the page.

You don't have to shove all your material on a limited number of pages. You can have a page addressing each phrase.

That page says Yoga holidays - great locations all around the world, so it should only have information that explains the benefits and hurdles of different locations.

Then you create other pages called:

What to expect on a yoga holiday... should be YOUR yoga holiday...
Yoga Holiday Activities - might be better as "what you'll do on your yoga holiday"
etc. . .

That way people will be able to share specific pages and will be more likely to read each page.

The search engines pay attention to time on page. This means if people click away to your site and then come right back over and over again, your page will drop in the serps. Give readers information they'll want to read, and then offer them more information on other pages.

The more pages you can get someone to read, the higher your chances of getting a sale or an opt in. It starts with the title creating interest, and flows from there.

Read this paragraph posted by chrishirst again:

If you are promoting and selling a particular model of NEFF dishwasher because you get a higher percentage per sale on that one, why would you send visitors to the "home" page which may feature dozens of appliances? Nope you want them on the page that tells them THIS is what they have been missing in their life for years. And, if you are smart about it, when that deal is finished, you rewrite the page with another "deal of the day" so you don't waste that direct traffic you have built up.

Write a bunch of topically tight articles and then point the readers at your offers. Once you get the articles up and bringing in traffic, you just update the offer pages, and add new articles as you find holes in the information presented.

Also you have URLs for airline sites and mention restaurants on your site. These should be links. If you're afraid people will click and leave, have them open in a new window.

Also I don't see a reason for using nofollow tags on any of the links on your pages. A nofollow link is for content you don't place on your site, or for specific reasons. On my sites the only nofollow tags are in blog comments and links that point deep into my affiliate tools sections. I don't want the search engines indexing pages designed for my affiliates beyond the index page.

Don't be afraid to link to other sites. It won't hurt your search results, but it will help your readers.

#8 Bryony

Bryony

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:24 AM

Hi train99,

Thank you so much for looking at my page and for all your comments and suggestions. Certainly lots of things to reconsider and change, as well as things to add in the future. notworthy.gif

In respect of 'No follow' links, I thought that Search engines reward links from other sites but penalise you for links from your site. As I have sooooo many links, I thought 'No follow' was a good option but I guess not.

p.s. Just read article in another part of this site

Jill Whalen said:
you wouldn't nofollow the ads to "save link juice." The only reason why you would do it is because Google wants you to mark paid links (ads) as such so that they don't factor them into their PageRank/link pop. algorithm.

So should I 'No follow' links in my paid ads?

Thank you again

Edited by Bryony, 10 December 2011 - 06:42 AM.

#9 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(Bryony @ Dec 10 2011, 06:24 AM) View Post
So should I 'No follow' links in my paid ads?

Google might, or might not, prefer that. But it's a safe bet that your advertisers won'ty like it.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

I thought that Search engines reward links from other sites but penalise you for links from your site.
No, they MIGHT and they don't, in that order.

added:

If they figure out there are paid links from your pages they will block the page from passing real PR and anchor text value.

Edited by chrishirst, 10 December 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#11 Bryony

Bryony

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:18 PM

No, they MIGHT and they don't, in that order.

Thanks Chris. That makes it pretty clear.

I don't have people paying me for links! But I am placing paid yoga holiday ads on my site, which include links to the yoga teacher's websites and to hotel's websites, which surely must be OK?

searchme.gif

#12 train99

train99

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

From my point of view, worrying about links on my site to other sites in terms of search optimization is a waste of time. I just link to any page that my readers would like.

As an aside, I almost never link to main pages of a site, instead I link to pages within the site that have content.

I don't want links high in my content to outside sites because I want to keep people on my site long enough to engage them, and in some cases I take care not to use keywords within the outbound links when they are sites I'm competing with for rankings. The second might not be important, but it's become habit.

The only nofollow links on a normal site are within user posted content. Blog comments for example. Going outside normal usage might cause problems in the future for you.

Selling links means you can't or aren't monetizing your site. From my point of view anyone who would rather sell me a link than use an affiliate link has a site that is worthless. (There are a few sites in my niche that sell ads rather than doing affiliate sales based on principle, but they are rare, and mostly ineffective.)

#13 Bryony

Bryony

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hi train99,

Thank you again for your informative post. And yet again, you have got me looking at things from a different viewpoint.

As I'm sure you've noticed, I haven't really got as far as monetizing my site but it is the next stage of the process and another thing to learn.

What is interesting is that all of my competitors charge for their ads, so I guess I'm falling in line with them really - and I am a bit old school too!!! But something I have always thought is 'I want quality well written yoga holidays on my site' (to attract good traffic), which I'm not really going to get if I'm charging people to advertise. So maybe I should offer free advertising to companies I want on the site and then focus on my affiliate marketing.

I don't know if you know this but we're going to have a bit of a major problem with affiliate marketing here in the UK next year. A European law stating that websites can't put cookies on anyone's computers without their permission is already in force but they have given everyone a year to fall in line!!!

Thank you so much again for your help

#14 brianman

brianman

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:10 PM

Not sure if you still need this advice, but this is what I do: I create pages on my site with great content. So, first of all, you do need some "landing pages" that will be relevant for the keyword you are targeting. Let's say you are targeting "fresh tomatoes". Your landing page will talk about fresh tomatoes....where to get them...why they are healthy...blah, blah, blah. Then, you are going to need to write some interesting articles and post them all over the place, like ezine, ideamarketers, and intellysitebacklinker to name a few. These directories will help your efforts. I hope that helps. I just can't stand when you ask a question and people don't give an actual answer.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

Then, you are going to need to write some interesting articles and post them all over the place, like ezine, ideamarketers, and intellysitebacklinker to name a few. These directories will help your efforts.

Maybe back a few years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!