• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

A Site Url Problem For An Awkward Client..

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WebMakr

WebMakr

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi all,

my first post is because I'm looking for advice on an issue, i love the process of SEO so i hope to become a useful member on here.

Im a front end developer from Leeds UK and a partner in a small studio. I've been given a dreadfully written html site to finish for a guy who sells car audio. I shouldn't have taken it on but they repaired my car alarm recently so decided to try and help after getting friendly with the boss who asked what i did. Firstly our quote for a complete custom .ASP site frightened him off, and he wanted to continue with this half built site which was built using DreamWeaver Templates. Its a mess to work on and he has no way to control the products, of which there are many.

The main site displays the products they fit like car alarms and vehicle tracking, cameras and AV. It was built by an amateur and is not up to scratch for his needs, however the guy who built it has walked away and left him a 1000 down and a site to finish. So i stepped in regretfully in the hope of convincing him to let use build him a bespoke .ASP site which would control his whole online business and would have made him a lot of money, were he prepared to commit to it. Luckily my partner is a Software Developer so there isn't much we can't do when it comes to bespoke eCommerce and CMS. Once we had him on board we could work out a SEO solution to suit to the new site, I didn't convince him and I think he feels he has to justify launching the site he's paid a 1000 already for.

On the site they have currently there is a shop that has been built in osCommerce which sells car speakers and amps etc, which isn't anything like the main site i've taken on in structure - i.e: menus, footer, header etc. It has been built into a subdomain years ago. So the main site is www.example.co.uk, and the current shop is accessed at shop.example.co.uk.

Im wanting to explain the reason why he shouldn't be having two different URLs and why he should have gone with our solution to have one database driven site holding all his products rather than two. I need to explain the reasons why I can't do any SEO on either site as he really isn't seeing it through a developers eyes and appears awkward to deal with professionally. I want to walk away.

Now before i meet him i just want to make sure I'm correct in my logic and understanding about my reasoning to refuse to do the SEO.

In terms of SEO, Google used to look at it as 2 separate URLs, but recently allowed subdomains to have some link juice from the normal domain. However because his site is different shops effectively, one in osCommerce, one in plain html, Google would still see it as two separate addresses as the only way to link them is one menu item on the home page that says shop, you click it to go from www.example.co.uk to shop.example.co.uk. That surely isn't enough to make Google think they are the same site?

If you created a back link to a product in the shop, the URL is going to be shop.example.co.uk/product1.php or whatever, and a backlink to a page on the main site is going to be www.example.co.uk/page1.html.

Am i correct in my logic, will it require twice as much SEO because the site structure is different? Ive checked both URLs via a few SEO checks, and both seem to have different amount of back links already, although a ridiculously low 27 linking domains for a site he's had live for over 12 years is comical. He's never done any SEO on it so he's never experienced a proper amount of traffic, I think he's a fool because I've researched his niche and he could make a fortune if done correctly over a number of years.

Will changing the site thats up at the moment with the one I've helped build which is completely different in structure put the domain in a Sandbox on Google? Ive a feeling what is doing is going to set him back months in terms of ranking the site properly. I don't see how 301 redirect can help here??

I hope someone can offer a some advice so I'm clear in my mind as to the reasons i have to walk away unless its a full rebuild, I've only recently added SEO to my workflow having been a web designer for 12 years.

Russel

Edited by WebMakr, 25 November 2011 - 03:59 PM.

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,948 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

Ive checked both URLs via a few SEO checks,
So that's mistake number one!

the "sandbox" never existed and the effect that became called the "sandbox" by those who didn't know any better ceased to exist several months ago.

That surely isn't enough to make Google think they are the same site?
Yes it is, if you link to URIs as if they are under one domain name, search engines will treat them as such.

Am i correct in my logic, will it require twice as much SEO because the site structure is different?
Nope you are NOT correct.

The physical structure makes absolutely ZERO difference to search engines, they read the NAVIGATIONAL structure. Get that right and it won't matter whether the "site" consists of one domain name or several subdomains.

What YOU to learn is that search engine do NOT index "sites" they index URIs and the content found at those URIs.

#3 WebMakr

WebMakr

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

The trouble is Chris there is two sites with two different navigational structures. One at root, one as a subdomain.

On the index page of his original site he has one picture you click to go through to an osCommerce shop. So one way of linking 2 sites.

When i use certain checks both have different amounts of back links, so how is this showing that its indexing as one site?

I love Blackpool btw, spent many holidays there when i was younger. Are you a tangerine fan?

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,948 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

Nope, no interest in football at all these days. I was a Gelderd End boy as a teenager though.

Counting backlinks is a total waste of time, you never know how many there actually is, and you certainly don't know which ones "count"

On the index page of his original site he has one picture you click to go through to an osCommerce shop. So one way of linking 2 sites.
Just cross link the two sets of pages wherever it makes sense to do so, and no, search engines don't "penalise" for cross linking a couple of collections of pages.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

I agree with Chris. The search engines don't care if you're using both a subdominan and a main domain. There's no special benefit to having the site all be at the root, other than it being easier to maintain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!