• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

"addthis" Tracking Ref On Urls In Facebook

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 07:10 AM

Hi Guys,

I've added the facebook like button using "addthis", however i have noticed that the URL thar it puts on your facebook wall includes a tracking code.

for example:

www.exampleurl.com/example.html?fb_ref=.TsziJrwezuI.like&fb_source=profile_oneline

Now my question is... does this mean we lose the benefit of that URL being liked in terms of SEO benefits? Basically because that is not the canonical URL which is now proudly sitting on the wall, it is a variation of the actual URL i am trying to optimize. Also will it cause duplication issues, because its almost like its presenting my website content on a different URL.

help and advice appreciated.

thank you guys,

Shimald

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

Facebook links have nofollow on them anyway, so it doesn't matter.

#3 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:07 AM

Hi Jill,

thank you for your reply.

However can i point you to this thread about a similar topic: http://www.highranki...mp;#entry320693.

In a nutshell, the conclusion from that thread was that facebook "likes" contribute to your ranking position in a similar way to a normal website back link would.

Hence i am worried by using the addthis tracking code i am not getting this benefit?

cheers,

Shimlad

#4 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,869 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

In a nutshell, the conclusion from that thread was that facebook "likes" contribute to your ranking position in a similar way to a normal website back link would.

You may think that but I didn't see where that conclusion was reached.

Unless you are talking about "personal search" of course.

#5 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

Me:
Is it because for example if somewhere shares your website on their Facebook news feed, Googlebot can crawl these news feeds and if it sees someone has shared your website, it thinks this site must be worth sharing and hence it acts as a positive point towards your website?

if the above is true, it almost sounds like the way links count towards your ranking.

Jill:
It is very much like that.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:11 PM

But that's not the same as a link. It's a share. And they may count shares for something, but they don't count them the same way as they count a link (I would imagine).

#7 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I've read up on this, and the new Like button has replaced the old Share button, they are essentially the same thing because when you click the like button it shares it on your wall anyway. When you go to the facebook development page there isn't an option to add a Share button anymore. Facebook has also confirmed they are no longer developing the share button and the like buttons is where they are focusing their efforts.

For all for all intents and purposes the facebook like and old share button are one of the same thing.

With that cleared up, can anyway shed any light on the original question, i.e. with the tracking code will that effect the benefit (for arguments sake lets even get the facebook thing, what if that was a link on a normal website and wasnt no follow, would google know that was tracking code or would it think that was me website link?)

#8 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,869 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

It's a bit of a stretch of the imagination from "very much like that" to "yes, it works exactly like that" isn't it?

#9 shimlad

shimlad

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

What i actually said was:

thank you for turning this thread into somewhat of a hair splitting thread, rather than continue to do so, perhaps someone else who isn't simple trying to score points could actually shed any light on the SEO issue in question here.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,940 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

Theoretically, if the link were to count as part of the link popularity algorithm, then it would count towards the URL that the person would get to when they got there. If the URL has parameters in it, you could tell Google via your GWMT account to ignore those parameters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!