• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

301 From Old Domain To Brand New Domain. Bad For Seo?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 LewisSellers

LewisSellers

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Dec 8 2011, 04:57 PM) View Post
Would you take advice on cars from a seventy five year old Amish man just because he is seventy five therefore must know more than a twenty year old rally driver?

Lol, No I wouldn't... That's a bit different though.

#17 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

The principle is the same.

Existing for an arbitrary period of time does not provide credibilty or "trust" that has to be earned

#18 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:35 PM

Isn't SEO just based off peoples opinions?

For some it is, and that's why there's so much bad wrong and outright dangerous info out there.

SEO should be based on testing and and what works in a particular situation under a particular set of circumstances. SEO is not opinions and it's not what Google or Matt Cutts says it is (they have their own agenda).

I recommend that nobody take anyone's opinion for fact (even anything I say). If something sounds right to you that someone else has tried, then certainly try it out for yourself. But don't go talking about ANYTHING on forums as if it's a fact, unless it's truly a proven one--just because you read it somewhere.

[Added: I would be shocked to read or see Matt Cutts ever say that strictly the age of a domain (that was never used) would ever be an SEO factor. If someone can find him saying that, I'd love to see it. But I can't imagine anyone will find that.]

#19 brianman

brianman

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

One thing that I would caution against. Don't do the DNS change until all the files and EVERYTHING has been moved to the new domain folder on the new server location. If you do the DNS change and Google indexes your site, you're in trouble.

#20 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,101 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:14 AM

DNS changes do not happen immediately, it takes 48 to 96 hours for the change to propogate around the entire system.

It does make sense to delay DNS changes until everything is in place, just not for the reasoning you offer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!