• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

2 Domain Names Pointing At 1 Website. Will Search Engines Think Its

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zone505

zone505

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:03 PM

I made a website forum and registered 2 domain names:

somewebsiteforum.com
somewebsiteforums.com

please note that they are not real domain names but only an example ... I registered one domain ending with Forum.com and one ending with Forums.com

I registered both because someone in the future could type forum or forums to get to my site, and it also makes it harder to copy the name of my site if someone tried to....

The question is should I point both domain names at 1 address or will the search engines take that as a duplicate and give me bad ranking because of it?

#2 mickmel

mickmel

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:42 PM

Just set up a 301 redirect so that they always end up at the same place. For example, if you type in "thefacebook.com", it quickly and quietly redirects to "facebook.com".

Same with www's -- choose with or without, and direct the other to it. For example, try "google.com" and it'll become "www.google.com".

#3 zone505

zone505

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE(mickmel @ Nov 19 2011, 09:42 PM) View Post
Just set up a 301 redirect so that they always end up at the same place. For example, if you type in "thefacebook.com", it quickly and quietly redirects to "facebook.com".

Same with www's -- choose with or without, and direct the other to it. For example, try "google.com" and it'll become "www.google.com".

I registered both domains at Godaddy, in my account at godaddy it has a setting to redirect the website address to my ip address, and this is what I have done for both domain names...
I'm just not sure what google or other engines will think of both domains going to one site...

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,886 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

Godaddy sucks and doesn't know how to do real 301s. Make sure whatever you do is a 301 and you'll be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!