• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Need Some Advice About My Next Step

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisClark

ChrisClark

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:41 AM

Hi Guys, long time lurker first time poster smile.gif

I have a motorcycle classifieds site which is a PR4 and gets about 5k unique visitors a day, my next step is to integrate a motorcycle classifieds shop AND a social network (kind of like facebook but for bikers). I have had a brainstorm about the best way to do it but would really appreciate the thoughts of others on this as I am sure its came up before, should I:

1) Get 2 new IP addresses for my server and 2 new URLs and create these sites independantly so they can pass link-juice to each other
2) have them as sub-domains on the site (like www.website.com/SocialMedia/ ) so they piggy-back off the PR4 site so they rank straight away and share the identity already created.

This is a long-term project and I am comfortable link-building to get them ranked quickly if i start from scratch but just wanted to hear your opinions on this.

N.B learned everything I know via Forums like this (been in SEO for 10 years back in the days when there were no decent books) so owe forums a lot, i will be sticking around and helping out where I can so although its my first post it will not be my last.

Really appreciate all the help in advance, really appreciate it

Chris

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(ChrisClark @ Nov 16 2011, 04:41 AM) View Post
1) Get 2 new IP addresses for my server and 2 new URLs and create these sites independantly so they can pass link-juice to each other

If it were really that simple, everyone would be doing this. In fact, what you're proposing is fine if you do it for your users, not for search.

2) have them as sub-domains on the site (like www.website.com/SocialMedia/ ) so they piggy-back off the PR4 site so they rank straight away and share the identity already created.

This would probably work better as it would require less brand building on your part and, no, the sub-domains won't necessarily piggy-back off the root domain.

Stop thinking about links and PageRank. Think about creating a great place for your visitors.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:42 PM

have them as sub-domains on the site (like www.website.com/SocialMedia/ )

That's not a subdomain, it's a directory.

It makes no difference whether you use new sites, subdomains or directories. It's all in how you link to it from your existing site.

#4 keyon

keyon

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 16 2011, 02:42 PM) View Post
It makes no difference whether you use new sites, subdomains or directories. It's all in how you link to it from your existing site.

Could you elaborate on this some? It's hard for me to believe that in terms of SEO, all that really matters is how you link to the new content.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:19 AM

There's really not much more too it, so I don't know how to elaborate any further.

Perhaps this short article will give you a bit more info:

Microsite or Main Domain: Which is Better for SEO and Google?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!