• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Ad Performance Strangeness

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:07 AM

I have 2 ads withing an adgroup with totally different numbers.

Ad position/Avg. CPC/ Conversion Rate
Ad1: 7/$7/10%
Ad1: 1.5/$3.5/5%

Cost-per-conversion is similar because of the double conversion rate/ half CPC thing. CTR is about the same. Google is showing Ad1 4X more often. I could (sort of) understand the lower conversion rate being caused by the ad text but what's causing the lower CPC and higher ad position?

Anyone have any ideas?

#2 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:23 AM

Could be a number of things, but in summary it is ...

The positions and CPCs of the keywords the ads are shown in response to, which may vary according to the date and time at which those keywords were triggered and the ads were shown.

#3 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Alan,

Could Adwords be automatically selecting one ad over another for particular times (or perhaps particular queries). Those numbers are for a period when both ads are running.

BTW, these numbers stay pretty constant regardless of date so I don't think its just a statistical anomaly..

#4 Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins

Token male admin

• Admin
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

It's very difficult to figure out exactly what's going on with so little data. But Ad2 is shown at a very high position for a low CPC, whereas Ad1 is shown at a low position for a high CPC, so either they're being shown for completely different keywords (assuming all other things being equal) or they have completely different quality scores (with Ad2's quality score being way better than Ad1's).

From the data you've given us, I'd try pausing Ad1 for a while and seeing what happened ...

#5 nethy

nethy

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:54 AM

Ad1 is rated "non-family," Ad2 is rated normal. About half the ads in the campaign are rated family seemingly arbitrarily.The content of the site is, I suppose, borderline (btw, has three ratings: regular, non-family & adult). There are only 6 similar, exact match keywords in the group. Would probably all get picked up by the same broad match. Quality score are displayed at keyword level ranging between 5/10 - 7/10 . What other data do you need?

Being displayed for different keywords could be a cause, but it unlikely. The keywords themselves are very similar and all have similar stats.

Edited by nethy, 15 November 2011 - 10:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!