• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Migration From Tld's To .com Sub Folders

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nzrobert

nzrobert

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Hi,

We currently operate five websites, 1 on .co.uk, 1 on .co.nz, 1 on .de and 1 on .com (geo targeted to USA) and 1 on .com/au (targeted at Australia).

Open Site Explorer currently credits our .co.uk with 212 unique domains linking to us, our .com has 130, our .co.nz has 110 and our .de (which is new) has around 10. We have a website on .com/au targeting Australia and we have gained around 30 - 40 links into this sub folder. Our rankings in google australia for this website are fantastic and it would appear to me that we have inherited all the domain authority of our .com.

The UK is currently our most important market and we operate a website on a .co.uk there. Our main competitors there have around 300 - 400 unique domains linking to them. What I am thinking of doing is deploying our UK content onto our .com root domain (which is currently geo targeted at the US which is a really small market for us) and redirecting all of the .co.uk pages at the root folder of the .com and changing the geo targeting of the .com to the UK. Additionally I was going to migrate our .co.nz and our .de websites into .com/nz/ and .com/de/ sub folders. I will also create a new .com/us/ folder for the US.

I can only go off the fact that the only sub folder website we have (.com/au) has been very successful for us. Do you think migration of all of these websites onto the .com domain using sub folders will provide a meaningful boost to our rankings by virtue of having more back links into one domain? Are there any big risks in doing so and how long would you expect the redirects and changes to be picked up by google.

I really appreciate any help and comments on this.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

You're assuming that works once will always work without taking into consideration the different factors that affect each market.

Plenty of people can share their successes or failures with you but about all you can get from such feedback is that "It Depends".

I myself have migrated sites to sub-domains and found that they performed reasonably well in search. I am sure I could find examples where that didn't work out so well for others.

I think it comes down to the execution and how careful you are to avoid creating or reusing duplicate content. The economies of scale oft create accidental low quality sites because people assume they can share much more than just a common domain name.

Each sub-domain should still create its own unique value and stand on its own merits as a Website. It's great when the mother domain shares some of its own value but you don't want to make this kind of move just because you think you'll get that value.

#3 nzrobert

nzrobert

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:50 PM

Thanks Michael,

I guess we are already in the situation of having similar content on different TLD's but are obviously unfortunately not benefiting from having all that link power going into one single domain, which as you know will do a lot better in a competitive space. At this stage these TLD's obviously target different geographical locations both through the domain extention and where generic through Google's WMT. What we are wanting to do is using WMT geo target our sub folders to different Geo locations and apply similar content to each. Given our track record with .com/au/ (which does have very similar content), we are leaning towards doing this, but just wanted to be aware of any further implications / risks that might not have been thought of.

I appreciate your feedback Michael, thanks!

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,127 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(nzrobert @ Nov 14 2011, 02:50 PM) View Post
Thanks Michael,

I guess we are already in the situation of having similar content on different TLD's but are obviously unfortunately not benefiting from having all that link power going into one single domain, which as you know will do a lot better in a competitive space...

It probably won't help as much as you think.

You will find the answers more quickly and reliably by implementing your proposed changes and gauging the results. I would just have a backup plan in place in case it doesn't work as you hope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!