• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

We Won't Have Keyword Data Anymore

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:21 AM

Okay, I'm getting pretty sick of this ..
yesterday I made two sales from one of my websites, and when comparing the time spent on the website to see which visitors bought the product , the two of them came from Google with the keyword "not provided" ..

2% or 10% .. that's not good at all !!

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:33 AM

Well at least you know your buyers are google product users.

There's nothing you can do about it so no sense continuing to complain.

#18 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

the two of them came from Google with the keyword "not provided"

Just means that the user had the referrer field disabled in their browser, nothing you or Google can do about it.

#19 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

It's the "(Not provided)" keyword that Google Analytics is using to denote referrals from Google's secure search.

You can still see the landing pages. You can look at the other keywords driving traffic to those pages and get a picture of what is happening. You can also look at Webmaster Tools data (which is free), which tells you which keywords are sending traffic to your pages (on a per-page basis).

#20 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 2 2011, 09:43 AM) View Post
Just means that the user had the referrer field disabled in their browser, nothing you or Google can do about it.

No Chris, it's a new initiative Google is doing, allegedly for "privacy" reasons.

People signed into their Google accounts are starting to have secure browsing and Google has said that they're not going to be passing referral data from it.

It's getting to be more and more now. Today I'm seeing almost 1/3 of my Google organic visitors having (not provided) shown as the keyword.

It does suck big time.

girl_cray2.gif

#21 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:18 AM

omg.gif, I go away for a few weeks and this happens? That's it, I'm never leaving you lot in charge of the Internet again!

#22 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 2 2011, 08:43 AM) View Post

You have to read the thread, moderator offtopic.gif

@Michael : thanks for the tips .. actually that helped me!

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 2 2011, 01:50 PM) View Post
It's getting to be more and more now. Today I'm seeing almost 1/3 of my Google organic visitors having (not provided) shown as the keyword.

It does suck big time.

girl_cray2.gif

There's nothing you can do about it so no sense continuing to complain.
(Your own words biggrin.gif)

#23 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:47 AM

It's getting worse now. The % of not provided keywords is up in double digits.

#24 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Nov 5 2011, 08:47 AM) View Post
It's getting worse now. The % of not provided keywords is up in double digits.

what did I tell you smile.gif

Something to note here, if your visitors are webmasters, then you will be seeing 100% soon smile.gif

#25 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

Well I can't say that I've noticed anything different, in the last twelve weeks of access logs, plenty of Google referrals all with an unchanged referrer field and "not provided" appears zero times.

#26 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

It's the keyword field, not the referrer. I can't imagine any site could have none. It's highly prevalent.

#27 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:10 PM

There is no "keyword field" in a HTTP request header? The query used for a search is carried in the referrer field of the HTTP useragent as the link is clicked in the results list.

I've also been reading the logs, and advising on another couple of websites who both use Google Adwords and would like to generate more "organic" results, All their referrers, are intact complete with "keywords" from Google searches.

So IF you are talking about Google Analytics information, it would seem to me like a pretty good reason to stop using it!

#28 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:58 PM

No chris. Google is no longer passing keyword data for organic searches made by anyone signed into google when they do the search. It effects log file data as well as every other analytics programs, not just google analytics. Please read the articles and information from google on this topic.

It's a very big deal.

Added: I just remembered its only been rolled out in the US which would explain why you may not have seen it.

#29 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 7,103 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

If everybody in the whole world had a Google account and were always signed in then, for some, it could be a big deal, but the other hand it might mean an end to the Adsense beggars waffling on about "you most impotrant keywrods", an end to forum link dropping for valuable "keyword ranking" and link building finally being about what links should be about, gaining traffic.

Sure, it will have a negative effect on the SEOs and marketers who can't adapt, which may NOT be entirely a bad thing as it should weed out the shysters and the clueless.

#30 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:50 PM

Of course !
check
http://www.seomoz.or...iteboard-friday

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Nov 6 2011, 04:10 PM) View Post
I've also been reading the logs, and advising on another couple of websites who both use Google Adwords and would like to generate more "organic" results, All their referrers, are intact complete with "keywords" from Google searches.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!