• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

We Won't Have Keyword Data Anymore

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

Google has today announced that any users that are logged in to Google.com will be automatically sent to the https version of Google. This has the (presumably intentional) side effect that web analytics tools will no longer be able to see data on the keywords that people used to get to websites.

Full details and some resources in here :
http://googleblog.bl...ore-secure.html

http://searchenginel...y-default-97435
http://www.blogstorm...logged-in-users
http://econsultancy....he-experts-view

what do you think ?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

We still do have data, just not all of it.

But yeah, it pretty much sucks. The more people that use Google products (and presumably it's growing every day) the less data we will have.

Still, we have no other choice but to deal with it.

#3 Hichem

Hichem

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

They said it won't exceed 10% ..
I'm already seeing "not provided" keywords in my Google analytic dashboard .. and it's not a small number ..

And as you said, it will be growing every single day, especially with the new Google plus ...

They are just killing other advertising programs if I understand well the reasons behind this change ;..

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Mine's less than 2%. And I can see what URLs they landed on and infer that it's pretty much the same keywords everyone else (not signed in) are using.

At this point, it's a non-issue (at least for my site). As more people use and are signed into Google products, it could become a problem. Also, I haven't really looked at how much its affecting client sites, just my own.

#5 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

it is an issue for me as when signed in instead of going to google.co.uk I am now directed to google.com and am getting google products in $$ so the adverts are junk. I was looking for an item and had to go to another browser to get decent results. sad.gif

Maybe it is because I have a gmail.com account rather than a googlemail (UK) one.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

The impact on my sites doesn't even warrant being called a blip on the radar screen. I'm into the "less than 1%" range now. Maybe that will change over time.

#7 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Do you think this could give rise to a legitimate challenger? Someone else offering a free analytics program that is as effective.

#8 zephyr

zephyr

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:10 AM

It's not so much the actual impact, as it is the whittling away of the "do no harm" mentality.
kudos to Danny Sullivan for really jumping all over them on this.
But his suggested cure / beneficial impact of running all sites secure is just not feasible.

#9 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE(OldWelshGuy @ Oct 25 2011, 11:55 AM) View Post
it is an issue for me as when signed in instead of going to google.co.uk I am now directed to google.com

Interesting. I had the opposite experience.

When I was using the Chrome browser, I found that all attempts to go to Google.com were redirected to Google UK. This had nothing to do with being logged into Google. It just stubbornly refused to let me go near Google.com. It made no difference whether I typed the URL in the address bar or tried to access it via the browser's search feature - even if I changed the default setting for the search provider.

It's one of the reasons I abandoned Chrome (the other was the lack of customisability, compared to Firefox).

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE(ScottSalwolke @ Oct 25 2011, 11:06 PM) View Post
Do you think this could give rise to a legitimate challenger? Someone else offering a free analytics program that is as effective.

No, because ALL analytic programs won't have the data.

#11 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:12 PM

That is the problem, Google themselves are preventing the data from transferring, they are blocking it.

It is clear that eventually google will roll this out, and we will not get any data from them unless it is a paid referral. No doubt google will then come up with a fantastic new product called 'googledata' which will reveolutionise your marketing by allowing you to see what traffic hits your site and converts.

A SNIP at $38,000 per year.

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

It's actually going to be over $100k a year. Most likely it will be available in the soon to be released Enterprise Google Analytics.

#13 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

I hope Google stands its ground on this issue.

#14 OldWelshGuy

OldWelshGuy

Work is Fun

• 4,713 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 26 2011, 02:23 PM) View Post
It's actually going to be over $100k a year. Most likely it will be available in the soon to be released Enterprise Google Analytics.

Awe Cheers Jill, I was being sarcastic saying it would cost an arm and a leg. $100k, that is plain nuts.

#15 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 26 2011, 01:23 PM) View Post

Isn't it supposed to be 150,000? That's going to make it pretty expensive for most businesses. For that cost they should supply you with photographs of visitors and their home phone numbers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!