• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Keyword Domain Name Or Company Domain Name?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 olimess

olimess

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hi everyone,

I've been struggling try to wrap my head around which is better to use ... a keyword domain name or a company domain name. I'll expand on this a little more.

I'm currently creating a website for a niche product I would like to sell. I did my internet market research previously and found a few good keywords that I can target. To my surprise, I also discovered that the domain names were still available for these keywords so I quickly snatched those up along with my company domain name.

As I continue finalizing my website I realize that I'm not sure how to handle these domains.

For example, I know that keyword rich domain names is a good thing. So do I pick the best keyword domain name and make this my primary domain name by attaching/directing this to my hosting site? If so, what happens to my other domain names? Do I simply redirect these domain names to my main domain name? Is this effective?

Or do I make my company name domain my primary domain and redirect all of the keyword domain names to that? What happens to the redirected keyword domain names ... do they hold any value at all as far as helping me with the Google SERPs?

I'm confused! Thanks in advance for responding to this!

#2 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,934 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

No contest - Company name EVERY TIME

#3 olimess

olimess

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(chrishirst @ Oct 21 2011, 11:37 AM) View Post
No contest - Company name EVERY TIME

Thanks for your response ... but could you elaborate on that? There's always SO much talk about using keyword rich domain names yet you are saying to go with the company name instead. So I guess my keyword domain names are useless to me in helping me with Google rankings?

Sorry, still confused here.

#4 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

You want to differentiate your Website as much as possible and create brand value that people will search for. Trying to cannibalize popular queries with keyword-rich domain names is a sub-optimal tactic.

#5 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,618 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

If you do a proper marketing job, people will get to know your company by its name. (Maybe not everybody will know it, but some will.) And many of those people, when they go to look for your site -- or go to recommend it to someone else -- will start by typing "your-company-name.com" into their browser. Having the company name as your domain is memorable. It supports branding. It will garner you potentially significant type-in traffic.

"Keyword-rich" domains aren't really all that keyword rich, anyway. Typically, they'll only target one phrase -- in essence, you're saying you'll be "optimizing" every page of your site for a single phrase, which is a terribly inefficient way to go about things. A domain name that attempts to target much more in the way of keywords starts to get really lengthy (and can start to look pretty spammy).

Not to mention that it's tricky to type, hard to remember and well-nigh impossible to brand.

If you want to get keywords into your URLs, use the folder structure and file name for keywords. Stick with the company name for your domain. If you want to hold on to those "keyword" domains, feel free -- just 301 them to point to the company domain. (And don't hold your breath waiting for them to work miracles for your site traffic...)

My penny.gif adjusted for inflation, less taxes.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#6 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,934 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 02:56 PM

QUOTE(olimess @ Oct 21 2011, 05:44 PM) View Post
Thanks for your response ... but could you elaborate on that? There's always SO much talk about using keyword rich domain names yet you are saying to go with the company name instead. So I guess my keyword domain names are useless to me in helping me with Google rankings?

Sorry, still confused here.

What do you when you want to change whatever it is you do currently?? With a "keyword domain", you are either stuck with it or are starting from scratch, and would you really like to throw away several years promotional work because the couple of words you originally went with are now redundant?

Keyword domain names are a shortlived technique and narrows your scope for EVERYTHING. You are pinning your plan for "success" on two or three words, and I'm still waiting for a definitive example where the domain name is the ONLY reason for ranking.

Edited by chrishirst, 22 October 2011 - 02:57 PM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,961 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

You may also want to read my recent article on why SEO in all the right places doesn't work anymore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!