• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Multiple Domains Redirecting To One Domain

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:20 AM

Hi,

I have 4 websites ranking very well for 4 different service categories, but recently I have built a single website which offers the 4 services, do you recommend redirecting the 4 services domains to the different category pages of my recently built website?

Carlos.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Absolutely.

#3 BeGlobal

BeGlobal

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Thank you Jill!,

One last question, what will happen with the Local Business Rankings of the old sites? if I do the redirect, will they transfer too?, shall I remove the old domains from our Local Business account?

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Not sure what you're asking. Your Google Places Pages?

If that's what you mean, I would imagine those would disappear if those businesses no longer exist.

#5 clandestino

clandestino

HR 3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

@BeGlobal

I happen to spend quite a lot of time on Local Search.

On each of your Google Places pages, you should remove the old domain and replace it with the new (consolidated) domain. It's O.K. to have the same domain on each site but they must have a separate location. I'm assuming you have separate physical location for each of those Places pages. If not, you're in violation of Google's Quality Guidelines and it may just be a matter of time before they catch up with you. The problem with that is that they may reject the Places page you want to keep and it will be a long painful process correcting it.

You will need to update All Local profiles, to include Yahoo! and Bing. It is critical that NAP - name, address and phone -- are identical on all sites. Your address should be in exact USPS format. Key in your address for zip to get the USPS format here ---&--#62; https://tools.usps.c...on!input.action

This means that if the USPS uses "Rd" you must not use "Road" -- use the exact format, "Rd" in this example.

The reason is that this is the format that Localeze uses. They are one of the largest data providers and they will scrape your Places content and push it to their customers who are many. Localeze's users will further propegate your data to other users. If their address format and yours are different, you will have a lot of trouble creating relevance for your Local pages. Better yet, pay Localeze $300 per year and they will push expanded data about your site that will create a lot of relevance. You always want to swim down stream. Fighting Localeze's data format will be swimming up stream against a very strong current.

It's hard to say with certainty how the changes will affect your local rankings, though. I think it may improve them because the of the link juice from all 4 sites being consolidated in one site. Organic is a major factor, but not the only factor by a long stretch, in Local rankings. Most likely, however, you will experience a drop in rankings to start. It depends a lot on the level of competition that you are up against.

There are things you can do to increase the Local relevance of the new site that may prevent that from happening. Here's the Bible of Local Search Factors ---&--#62; http://www.davidmihm...g-factors.shtml

You may want to use some of David's ideas to increase Local relevance on the new site.

I think it is a good idea for you to re-direct those other sites, especially since you have created another substantially identical site. I've seen a lot of Panda victims with your fact patten. Here's one ---&--#62; http://groups.google...ers/NJgHT_GPMMQ

That doesn't mean that your facts are the same or Google's algorithm will treat you the same, there are so many variables in play there is no way to be sure.

I do know this though -- any CEO will be interested in 1) increasing revenue, 2) reducing cost without losing quality, and 3) risk mitigation.

Your proposed re-organization fits into #3. Proactive managers will win. Trusting souls will end up getting slapped and end up as one of the many poor saps that trusted Google. Stay one step ahead.

Once you decide to make this move, the next step is to start planning to use the new opportunities this move will offer to rank even better than you did before for Organic & Local. Paid search can fill the gap to start. Maybe you will want to integrate Social Media to help you let your customers know about your new Branding efforts and Value Proposition.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ChuckFinley, 15 April 2012 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!