• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Why Am I Not Out-ranking Competition

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RDOllc

RDOllc

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hello,

I have my site up to ranking 4 or 5 in Google and cannot seem to climb any higher. The same website has the #1 Google spot for my top 3 keywords. I have analysed their page and cannot determine why they are ranking so much higher.

My alexia 4million, theirs 10million
I have keyword in title, description, keywords, first 50 words on page, keyword in 3% of content, etc.
they have non of this...
The only thing the other site seems to have that is better, is a PR3 and mine is a PR1 and they have more backlinks.

How can they have 0 on page optimization, but still blowing me away?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,956 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Because SEO in all the right places doesn't work anymore. (Although being 4 or 5 isn't too shabby.)

Remember, your rankings may not be the same as everyone else's rankings. And also, why are you just looking at one keyword phrase? You likely get much more traffic than the other site on hundreds of other phrases. Surely you look at your web analytics?

#3 RDOllc

RDOllc

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 14 2011, 09:21 AM) View Post
Because SEO in all the right places doesn't work anymore. (Although being 4 or 5 isn't too shabby.)

Remember, your rankings may not be the same as everyone else's rankings. And also, why are you just looking at one keyword phrase? You likely get much more traffic than the other site on hundreds of other phrases. Surely you look at your web analytics?

Thank you Jill

I am keeping track of my ranking for many keywords, that was just in reference to my most important & highest ranked keyword.

#4 rominosj

rominosj

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(RDOllc @ Oct 18 2011, 01:33 PM) View Post
Thank you Jill

I am keeping track of my ranking for many keywords, that was just in reference to my most important & highest ranked keyword.

As Jill says look for other keywords that can help you get more traffic.
Also, remind yourself that this is not a contest, so there is no need to be number one. You are fifth, and on page one, that is very important and difficult to accomplish. So, you are getting traffic from that specific keyword, now look at your stats, and conversion rates instead of trying to rank higher.

#5 Dragonusthei

Dragonusthei

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE(RDOllc @ Oct 13 2011, 11:14 PM) View Post
Hello,

I have my site up to ranking 4 or 5 in Google and cannot seem to climb any higher. The same website has the #1 Google spot for my top 3 keywords. I have analysed their page and cannot determine why they are ranking so much higher.

My alexia 4million, theirs 10million
I have keyword in title, description, keywords, first 50 words on page, keyword in 3% of content, etc.
they have non of this...
The only thing the other site seems to have that is better, is a PR3 and mine is a PR1 and they have more backlinks.

How can they have 0 on page optimization, but still blowing me away?

It's all about links.

You need to get some decent quality links, and throw some low quality in there as well and you'll be #1 in no time.

#6 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE(Dragonusthei @ Oct 19 2011, 01:21 AM) View Post
It's all about links.

No it's not.

#7 MaryKrysia

MaryKrysia

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE(Dragonusthei @ Oct 19 2011, 01:21 AM) *
It's all about links.

No it's not

LOL. Short but very true. Content and linking still working together for high rankings.

Aiming for the #1 spot can a waste of time.

Perhaps you need to focus on a creating a great user experience for higher conversions.

#8 LewisSellers

LewisSellers

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

Ok, I'm going to take a slightly different approach to answering your question... Hopefully I can help.

I think from reading your initial message, you may have answered your own question! You say that you've optimised your page titles, meta descriptions and heading tags etc, but you don't have as many back links. Backlinks are extremely important for SEO and from my experience, they are vital.

Whilst high quality links are a must, a mixture of high quality, low quality and medium quality links would do the trick. You don't necessarily need to been your competitors on everything as ultimately, Google will be looking at your overall website profile and judging you based on that.

Try using the SEOmoz open site explorer (www.opensiteexplorer.org) in order to compare you against some of your competitors. You ultimately want to build up the number of linking root domains and followed links back to your website. If you can close the gap between you and your competitors, you'll start moving up in Google.

What everyone else has suggested is correct (You shouldn't just target one key phrase). However, I wouldn't agree that being 5th on Google is a 'great' position. Statistically, the website ranking in #1 receives 42% of clicks. Being position 2 only receives 12% of clicks, 3rd, 11% and so on... If those statistics are correct (there is good evidence to support this), then technically, you're receiving around 9% of the traffic going through that keyword.

My tips would be as follows:

- Check your content is relevant and well optimised to the correct keyword density
- Build up links from high quality websites related to your niche
- Build up links from sites such as EZine, Hubpages, Squidoo, etc (Don't over do this, but build some up)
- Check your meta titles, heading tags and meta descriptions are well optimised
- Don't always choose really competitive keywords, you want to find keywords with a good KEI (keyword efficiency index)

If you can send your website URL and 3 competitors, I'm happy to have a quick look at your link metrics and make a few suggestions.

I was in a fairly similar position to you around 4 months ago with one of our sites, we're now position 2 in Google for the keyword and I've done this on multiple websites. SEO is a slow process but you can do it! smile.gif

Many thanks
Lewis

#9 Lorelle

Lorelle

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

Also make sure your Title tag is written to attract your target audience! Google is paying attention to clickthrough rate. Too many people use the Title as a substitute meta keywords tag. So be sure to give ample consideration to how your Title looks on the SERP and make positive sure it is more compelling to your target market to click on than the competition's!

#10 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE(LewisSellers @ Nov 30 2011, 04:45 PM) View Post
... the website ranking in #1 receives 42% of clicks. Being position 2 only receives 12% of clicks, 3rd, 11% and so on...

Lewis, can I ask where you got those figures?

They are nothing like my own experience. With my own sites, the relationship between position and clicks is so variable, it's impossible to put any consistent numbers on them. All I can say is that the higher up the search results you are, the more clicks you get.

And what exactly do you mean by "42% of clicks"? 42% of what?

#11 LewisSellers

LewisSellers

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:33 AM

QUOTE(Mikl @ Dec 1 2011, 09:02 AM) View Post
Lewis, can I ask where you got those figures?

They are nothing like my own experience. With my own sites, the relationship between position and clicks is so variable, it's impossible to put any consistent numbers on them. All I can say is that the higher up the search results you are, the more clicks you get.

And what exactly do you mean by "42% of clicks"? 42% of what?

Hi Mikl,

42% of the traffic going through that particular search term was what I meant.

There is quite a lot of documentation on the internet to support the 42% of clicks and I use it more as a guide than something that is set in stone. Ultimately, if you're position one on Google, you're going to receive more clicks, however, your title tag and description also has an impact on this, as does all the other things that Google are putting into the top of their results such as Adwords, Google Merchant Feed and Recent News etc.

A few links about what I was saying are below:

http://www.blogstorm...-through-rates/
http://training.seob...e-ranking-value
http://www.slowseo.c...-positions.html
http://www.seomad.co...h-rate-ctr.html
http://searchenginel...ing-study-97338
http://www.risedigit...nking-position/
http://thinktraffic....eyword-research

Kind Regards
Lewis

#12 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 08:51 AM

Thanks for the links, Lewis. I'll read them as soon as I can grab a moment.

Regarding my question about what the 42% refers to, you said "42% of the traffic going through that particular search term". That's quite different from what I expected. I thought you meant that out of all the people who see your page somewhere in the search results, 42% would click through to it.

Based on what you said, I don't see why that's relevant. After all, you'll still get the other 58% of traffic from somewhere else.

Maybe it will become clear when I'ved studied those articles you referenced.

#13 LewisSellers

LewisSellers

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Sorry, I think I'm confusing you. smile.gif

If the keyword 'Leather Sofas' received (for example) 10,000 searches per month, the website in position 1 would receive (statistically) roughly 42% of the number of clicks made through that search term. So If that is correct, the person sat in position one would expect to receive roughly 4200 clicks from that one search term. There are bits of software out there that use calculations to give a rough guide on what you can expect for a number one position. They usually refer to it as SEOT.

If the website appeared in position 2, they are likely to only receive 1200 clicks from that particular search term. Obviously this is only a guideline so it shouldn't be taken as completely 100% accurate.

Just so you know, I haven't read all of the links above, they just all refer to the 42% CTR for position one. There should be some good articles on there though.

Hopefully I explained it better this time smile.gif

Lewis

#14 Mikl

Mikl

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Lewis,

Yes. You did explain it better this time. It's exactly what I originally understood. Thank you.

My only question now is: how on earth can anyone know this? Obviously, you can measure click-through rates for the sites for which you have the metrics, but how do you go about aggregating the figures over a population that's large enough to provide a signicant sample?

I'm really only asking out or curiosity. I won't sidetrack this thread any longer.

#15 LewisSellers

LewisSellers

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Excellent, glad that made more sense smile.gif

As far as I'm aware, those metrics are built up from companies such as Hitwise. They have access to all the data that ISPs track and they're able to see how much traffic each site is receiving and I'm guessing how much traffic each keyword is providing to different websites.

I always use it as a guideline metric. I could probably go through some of my link history and see how accurate this actually is. I've worked on many sites over the past couple of years that have been in position 3, then moved to two, then moved up to 1 over a period of 3-4 months so I probably wouldn't be too hard to see the difference (though I guess seasonal trends would impact this too).

Many thanks
Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!