• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Before Google Re-indexes After Sites Hacked?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 shera1

shera1

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

I have about 10 blogs and last month my revenue dropped by about 90%. It was not a small amount of money.
When some one found my site on Google they would be re-directed to another site ( not mine)
After a few days I realized my sites had been hacked. I cleaned them up, out them on new databases, etc.
This was about 3 weeks ago. I have done several things to help get re-listed- lots of crosslinking,updating posts, fresh posts, etc as well as re-submitted some pages in Google Webmaster tools.

$$$ is back up to about half of what it was on my hardest hit site. I have done some random searches on Google and have found links to my site that still re-direct.
The pages that are redirected APPEAR to be re-indexed ( when I check cache they have recently been crawled) so not sure why the re-directs are still happening.
I am wondering when this nightmare will stop. I am losing several hundred dollar a month and it HURTS!

Thanks for your time and appreciate input!
Lisa

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

Did you file a reinclusion request with google?

#3 shera1

shera1

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Oct 7 2011, 11:09 PM) View Post
Did you file a reinclusion request with google?

Hi Jill- earlier in week I used google fetch for pages that were a problem and not appearing, etc
I did use webmaster tools to "re-submit" site in section where I had warning about possible malaware on my site. This was done yesterday.

I was bit confused because I am still ranking in SERPs.. albiet not as high as I did so not sure if I was actually de-indexed.

I did go thru something similar to this about 2 years ago when for some reason the permalink structure on my blog was changed and the results in SERPS were now for pages that no longer existed because the URLS changed. I don't recall it taking this long to straighten out.
This time not only was there code in my wordpress files creating re-directs in SERPS from my most popular pages but the permalink structure was also changed on my blog, categories removed/ created AND crazy spam pages were created. Site was a mess.

If i had been de-indexed would I have any results in search engines?

My concern is that a page cached oct 6. was redirected to the spam site and I cleaned the site up almost 3 weeks ago.

Thanks for your input.
Lisa

#4 shera1

shera1

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

Well.. I must have multiple hacks going on. I didn't think it could be an indexing problem after 3 weeks even with all the issues.
Just couldn't shake that I was missing something.
I thought I had combed thru everything... then low and behold hidden in 5 levels down wp-includes were hidden 2,000 + spam files. Then in image directory were a couple of odd files that also turned out to be hack. There was also a script that kept re-writing my htaccess file. which it turn caused the redirect- but how clever were these guys that that re-directs only happened on most popular post and then random t and even then would not happen if you had sites cookie all ready.
Wow.
Alot of grief would have been spared if I had checked in Webmaster Tools diagnostics and seen some strange behaviors... not sure I would have caught everything right away but would have known sooner where to start.

Still dont know if I solved all the problem.

#5 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

Wordpress or Joomla?

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,580 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:20 PM

With the mention of wp-includes, I'm thinking WordPress.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#7 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,709 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:48 PM

Why Holmes! I believe once again your deductions are proven correct. biggrin.gif

(slaps self around for head being dumb) smile.gif

#8 shera1

shera1

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

Hi- yes wordpress.
I am hoping some one with more programming experience would know if SERP for page on my site that gets redirected could be from an infected yet cached page in Google.
i.e. Could my site be recently cleaned yet Google would still be redirecting to spam sites?

#9 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:22 AM

The redirects in this particular "hijacking" are not cached or seen by Google because the hijack only occurs when the referrer is from a search engine, that is of course assuming that this is thehijack you are referring to.
If it is, then you also need to be looking for any base_64() code injection that may be left around.

It is usually found appended to the index.php/index.htm file.

Now for the bad news, one joomla powered site that I was asked to look at that had been hit by this attack has taken the better part of a year to get out of Google's "Visiting this site may harm your computer" SERP note and interstitial warning page.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

• 6,709 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

This of course may be a good point to offer the usual warning of:

You should NEVER, EVER rely or depend upon search engine referrals for your income. That traffic, sales or income should be in addition to what your site needs to turn a profit or what you need to live on.

Relying on SE traffic is a bit like advertising in just one free paper and hoping that everybody in the world reads that one paper and acts on your advert.

#11 shera1

shera1

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:32 AM

The hijack was much more insidious than a re-write of my htaccess file.
scripts were buried in wp-functions, disguised as image files and hidden in innocuously named looking folders. ie. "log"
in directory content/uploads/08/02/log/sitename/ were 3,000 spam html files.
Pretty much every .php file had hack code in it.
Was a mess. I THINK I have cleaned it up. But have said that several times the past month :-)
Did what I probably should have done in first place and created a whole new directory on server and started from scratch with fresh wordpress upload, new plugins, and uploaded only necessary and cleaned files to new directory.
That was easier to do in long run than going thru directories and searching for rogue files.
I will say this was a LEARNING experience.

#12 bkparikh

bkparikh

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:19 AM

Hi - Did your site start ranking well again? I faced a similar issue with a hacked site and corresponding loss in pagerank + search traffic. We just resolved the hacked site issue, and I'm wondering how long it might take before we rank for the affected pages. I know that we've been recrawled but we're still at PR0. Thanks!

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,878 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

I know that we've been recrawled but we're still at PR0.

What your toolbar PageRank shows is not relevant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!